1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Majik.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sh4rk, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Sh4rk

Sh4rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wanted to hear your opinions on this amp, as I have been seeing completely mixed opinions about it. I have seen one for fairly cheap and I am wondering whether I should buy it. It would be coupled with some Mission 780s. I am using a Marantz PM4200 at the moment. The linn would clearly be far better than this but would it be better than say a Nad c320bee?

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Linn Majik in my system. IMHO it's a much better amp than appears from the reviews. I bought mine some time ago and at the time auditioned it against rivals from Audiolab, Myrad, Cyrus and Naim. Obviously I preferred the Linn!

I haven't heard the NAD so can't make a direct comparison but would be surprised if it were bettered by the NAD, despite it's reputation. The Linn has a formidable power supply designed to drive Linn's tricky 4 ohm speakers, so should easily manage just about any speaker you care to pair it with.

The other advantage of the Majik is that it can be fitted with 'Sneaky' modules internally to add an internal tuner section or fitted with active cards when used with Linn speakers as part of an active loudspeaker system, like I do.

Well, that's my Linn sales-pitch, let's hear from the NAD boys!

3. Sh4rk

Sh4rk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Deckard. Anyone else have any other opinions? I have noticed that the reviews of the Linn have been very mixed. I mean it got only 3 star in whathifi, but i have seen some good reviews on the internet. So I don't really know what to think.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    The Linn is a classic example of how to design a SUPERB integrated amp. It is a different class. It's basically a VERY good pre-amp partenered with a low power but very good power amp that should be up to the task of driving your speakers easily.

Gordon

5. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The crux of the matter is that you have to listen. Linn gear sometimes gets mixed reviews but I've found it tends to outperform the competition at playing music. Some people are hung up on hi-fi concepts like "sound stage" and Linn (and Naim) is probably not for them.
    Try to listen to the performance of the musicians, not to the equipment :eek:)