1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Majik LP12 Turntable Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Ed Selley, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,638
    2. Derek S-H

Derek S-H

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,240
      Just a quick comment for any LP12 owners who are looking for 45 rpm capability: as Ed rightly points out, Linn do their own in-house options ranging from a basic aluminium adapter which has to be manually attached every time you want to use it, which is very fiddly and time-consuming, to an unbelievably expensive power supply (£3000!), which is obviously quicker and more convenient.

However, there is also another option - the Hercules power supply:

Linn LP12 and Hercules Power Supplies Online Store

It's not authorised by Linn (I believe) and you would need a dealer to set it up for you (unless you really know what you're doing), but it really does work and is pretty much essential if you have a large 45 rpm collection.

Oh, and I still love my Sondek! It is not ruthlessly accurate, but it does capture the energy, character and spirit of music quite beautifully.

3. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,576
      Great review. Loved it, bought back many happy memories.

I never quite made it to the dizzying heights of the famed LP12. I got close though, a Linn Axis (with Akito arm), this was via a Regar Planar 2 route (my first 'serious' turntable).

Good times :)

4. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +258
      Linn is just a better looking copy of Thorens original sprung suspension turntable and has been overated due to clever marketing. Interesting to find that you rate Michell Gyrodek for better sound , I used to own a Michell Gyrodek but found the Thorens 321 far superior and have used it without any adjustment to its leaf suspension for the last 30 years. I did have a LP12 but got shot of it due to rumble and too fidldly suspension.

5. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +145
      It looks good in piano black too ! :smashin:

6. iainoco

iainoco

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +611
      Very similar to myself, started with a NAD 533 (a rebadged Planar 2) and moved on to a Linn Basik with Akito arm. I really hope to own a LP12 one day :)

Great review @Ed Selley , makes me desire one even more.

7. Stinger69

Stinger69

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +166
      Three thousand quid and the lid's optional, along with single speed operation!

Now I know that many will say "who plays 45s anyway?", but I bought many 12" singles back in the day, and the quality of them is just superb. You have loads of vinyl to spare, so the cutting engineer can cut at a high level, and because of the higher speed, you get less inner groove issues as well.

8. Ste7en

Ste7en
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,576
      Only right.

Nobody said the audiophile path was easy :)

9. BrianMW

BrianMW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +433
      I had an LP12 for many years, used it with an external Hercules II PSU in a Mose case, pretty easy to fit and no anywhere near as expensive as many alternatives and allowed easy switching for 45/33 speeds.

I used the LP12 with an Ear Yoshino 834p phono stage. To be honest its the setup thats perhaps what I have sold that I miss the most, they are a little fiddly to get setup well but the rewards are impressive, I have had a fair few turntables from Michell, Rega, Marantz (direct-Drive) and others but if I ever get another turntable its likely another LP12 I would want....

Just found one of my old photos of it with the Hercules II PSU :)
      [​IMG]

PS thanks for the review Ed, made me reminisce :)

10. lindsayt

lindsayt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      As reviews go, I thought that was a reasonable one. The review correctly identified the bass as the weakest area of the Majik LP12. It was also correct in saying the LP12 is not the best sounding TT ever made. And that it's still competitive when compared to similar priced brand new offerings from the likes of Clearaudio.

A slight correction that I'd make is that the suspension consists of 3 springs AND the tonearm cable.

I own an LP12. I also own an EMT 930 and 950.

11. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +514
      Ed, thanks ever so for the review. I used to have the deck consigned to history, the Axis with a Basik arm; it unfortunately developed a regulator issue that could not be corrected, so it played everything at around half a semi-tone (whatever that works out to be) higher than it should. The LP12 was always the aspirational deck, but unfortunately you've scared the (insert appropriate faecal word here) out of me! If you can't figure out how to set this up, how is it supposed to survive some basic housework? I don't have a degree in miniature mechanics, so I'll be passing on this one! But again, thanks ever so for a great read.

12. shyman

shyman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      Peter @ Cymbiosis is certainly good with the LP12. However, I have a Pink Triangle 1 (PT1) which is over 35 years old, my Rega RB300 arm went to J7 to be rewired, I did ask Peter if he could sort this out for me, and refit the arm to my PT. I had a new Rega Elys2 cartridge fitted. I requested an AB comparison with the majik LP12, an unfair comparison? Who knows? My 35 year old deck made the LP12 sound flat! My PT was far more dynamic, and a much more, well controlled bass. Probably the superior arm? I don't know? The point is that Peter is capable of much more than just servicing LP12's! He is very good with setting up and installing Naim gear too!! Thumbs up for Cymbiosis! Thumbs up for Peter Swain!!

Attached Files:

13. shyman

shyman
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I forgot to mention the my PT does play 45's with the flick of a switch! No adaptors, no expensive power supply upgrades

14. aliencinema

aliencinema

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +297
      Good old days
      lp12, itock 111 arm and k18 cartridge
      Think I sold it for £450