• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Linn Majik DS

JonnyBingham

Can someone with knowledge of Linn's latest range, just give me a low down on what would make an 'entry' Linn system, with the Linn Majik DS as my source?
What units in the Linn range would I be looking at, and what price would I be looking at for each unit?

I really do not know anything basically, and looking at Linn's website was suitably confused trying to distinguish between the differences of their ranges.
I'm not interested in playing LPs at all (sorry to all you analogue fans!) so I have no interest in phono stages. And I'm only really interested in standard 2 speaker stereo sound, not the multi channel stuff that some of the amplifiers offer, although I can see it being useful long term if it has home cinema capabilites, but it seems another complication.

Regarding the actual streaming, does the Linn Majik have a network card built in to connect over wifi or what? Is the system designed to be retreive the data from NAS or can you just pair it with a pc ( I have a wifi home network)
Lastly, it's hard to talk about value for money with these things, but do people with experience of using any Linn DS system, think that the Linn is in a league of it's own, or do you think Linn are just demanding high prices cos they can because of the weight of their name in audiophile circles?
That's a lot of questions, but if anyone can shed some light on a sysem with the Majik DS that would be great!
I'm going to ask the PJ hifi about it next Friday, but it would be good to have some more idea, thanks

Peter314

do people with experience of using any Linn DS system, think that the Linn is in a league of it's own, or do you think Linn are just demanding high prices cos they can because of the weight of their name in audiophile circles?

You might want to ask this in the Streamers & Network Music section.

IIRC Mr_Sukebe has posted that at least one of the Linn range was very good indeed.

JonnyBingham

Thanks very much for suggestion :cool:

Mr_Sukebe

I've no idea about matching Linn amps and speakers. Go chat with your local dealer, I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

Ref the Majik, I found it roughly on par with what I presently use, ie. pretty good, but not going to trouble real high end CDPs like Esoteric units.
Having said that, the Majik is £2k, and they also make the Accurate and Klimax (£4k and £8k respectively). Can't really comment on the Klimax, but the Accurate I dem'd really was a good deal better than the Majik.
Lets put it like this, I've yet to hear a better streaming source, and if I had the dosh, I'd buy a Klimax tomorrow.

YellowSphere

The Majik DS has a variable phono output, so you can connect it directly to a Majik 2100 power amp if you're happy for it to be your only source.

JonnyBingham

If I was able to get the Majik DS at just over a grand would you consider it quite a good value proposition against equivalently priced CD players - say the Naim Nait Cd5i or Roksan Caspian?
Also I've heard mixed reviews about the Linn amps, could I consider partnering it with something else (less pricey) like a yba ya201 perhaps, which is generally considered an excellent value amp for the level of it's performance?

Last edited:

Mr_Sukebe

If I was able to get the Majik DS at just over a grand would you consider it quite a good value proposition against equivalently priced CD players - say the Naim Nait Cd5i or
Also I've heard mixed reviews about the Linn amps, could I consider partnering it with something else (less pricey) like a yba ya201 perhaps, which is generally considered an excellent value amp for the level of it's performance?

I've owned a CD5i, and would happily take a Majik any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, the CD5i has it's own benefits, but that's mainly because it has the usual Naim sonic signature, i.e. very boppy and fun. Problem is that it's at the expense of actually being natural in how it comes across. Compare a CD5i to a really good CDP, and whilst fun, it sounds synthetic.
In short, really depends on what you want. For me, I'd rather have something that actually gets closer to putting the band in my lounge.

thefall

Standard Member
The Majik DS is an excellent source - don;t overlook the sneaky ds which isn't that far off the majik performance levels & has a basic power built in.

The Majik can be pluged straight in to most power amps, if its to be your only source - strangley enough i found the Majik 2100 a BAD match...go figure!

JonnyBingham

Shouldn't the Majik DS me plugged into an integrated amplifier rather than a power one, since it' just an ethernet DAC and lacks a pre-amplifier as far as I was aware?

Last edited:

thefall

Standard Member
Shouldn't the Majik DS me plugged into an integrated amplifier rather than a power one, since it' just an ethernet DAC and lacks a pre-amplifier as far as I was aware?

It has a volume control so can be plugged directly into a power amp if desired - makes for a compact hi quality setup

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom