1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn LK280 split mono

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by michael.redfern, May 24, 2005.

1. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Anyone ever heard of the above amp? :confused: I understand that one starts with a LK280 and separates the channels into two boxes, but how this is done I have no idea. Does it have two transformers? Does it need two power cables? Does it keep the full set of four speaker outputs per box or move two to the second box? Questions questions.

Google no use so far. Nowt on the Linn product histories pages. Suspect it might be a home made concoction, but just wondered if anyone had heard of it.

ta.

2. TheAvalanche

TheAvalanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I have an LK280 spark and this doesn't appear to be one from the description given. It is definitely described as being two mono boxes as per an LK240, rather than the amplifier modules in one box and the power supply in another as per the 280/spark.

Maybe it's a home made mod. Can't find any info on it.

4. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    As I recall, the LK280 mono amp was a homegrown system after a number of people identified that the LK2 series of amps sounded significantly better in mono mode, using only one channel per amplifier, than running in stereo mode. The LK2 series is a dual mono construction internally, having entirely separate amplifier boards internally, and sharing "only" the power supply.

The split mono therefore consisted of sourcing another case, transformer and switch unit and simply removing the amp card from the stereo unit and adding it to the new case. Done well, this also involved buying two heatsinks so that the cases were visually as before, or on the cheap with a dirty great hole down one side! Clearly there was also a need to close up the input/output section at the rear of the amp. Whilst a homegrown product, I think at least one or two suppliers were able to undertake the work on behalf of clients on the basis that the Linn warranty was entirely voided! (don't ask me how I know...)

The addition of a Spark, an additional power supply, was Linn's equivalent mod, providing additional power to the LK2.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Michael: Didn't I answer this for you over on zerogain a week or so ago.....

G

6. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I hope I got it right and the old grey cells weren't playing up then?!

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    No you were pretty much bang on. It's not a "real" product. LK280 SPARK is better anyway.

Gordon