Linn Komponent AV package

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SteveAS, Apr 30, 2007.

1. SteveAS

SteveAS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I am trying to decide on a 5.1 speaker package to go with my pioneer av amp.

My shortlist of packages so far is:

SVS SB-01
    Canton CD100, CD50, etc.
    Quad L-ites

I would like to know what Linn are like for Av speakers. I hear they are pretty good for their music speakers.

Are they another package to throw into the reckoning?

A link here to a deal with Peter Tyson...

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/linnkomponentav-linnkompav.shtml?appb#

Its a 5.1 package although each speaker can be bought separately, so I could leave out the sub if its not deemed to be in the same running as the SVS pb-10. One thing I do want is a separate sub woofer like the SVS pb-10 or one of the BK at around 400 quid (I cant remember the model). These subs have had very good feedback from this forum.

I'm going to try and demo all of these packages at some point or other. I aim to buy around June time when I know I will have the time and budget (which will be around 1k max).

Any more suggestions to add to the list?

Cheers, Steve

2. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    I went and auditioned Linn Komponent 110's last week. From experience of B&W XT2's and DefTech Mythos 1 & 3, aluminium fabricated speakers sonically leave a lot to be desired - delivering either a coloured or emotionless sound.

I was pleasantly surprised, however, by the neutral transparency of the Linn Komponent 110's. But, as they only go down to 60hz, they must have a good sub to bring them alive. I was on the verge of buying them (especially at £499) alongside Linn source components until I heard of Linn's current financial problems.

Instead, I've opted to buy Mission Elegante E81's at £299 pair (to partner a Meridian G95). That may seem like a strange choice (as they only go down to 80hz), but their sensitivity is better at 90db (compared to the Linn Komponent 110's at 85db) and go up to 30khz (compared to 20khz). You might believe that upper frequency response is academic, but from auditioning both brands the Missions are more musical and sweeter-sounding than the Komponents.

Even so, the Missions still need bass reinforcement from a decent sub to give their best.