Linn Komponent 120 anygood?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Xerotrace, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Xerotrace

Xerotrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is it? I read the HT Mag (USA I think) and they said the package was good but didn't go in depth about the sub.

2. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    I don't know if it's any good (it's certainly built very nicely), but if you're UK based then Peter Tyson are doing some very good deals (relative to RRP) at the moment.

FWIW, I think it looks like it might be a bugger to hide. It is after all the size of a cars spare wheel and not even a space saver at that. Also, it's line level inputs only, so check you've got the right sort of connections for it. Most Linn kit has preamp outputs, so there's no high level inputs.

With an 8" driver in what is, in fact, just a small ported cabinet, it ain't going to shift the earth but for music and lower level listening it may be Ok, especially when you consider the £289 PT are shifting them at.

Russell

3. Xerotrace

Xerotrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will the preout on a marantz sr4600 Do? It's gonna be in a 12 x 11 (i think, It is a bedroom) room.

4. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Yes and it'll fit under the bed.:)

Russell

5. Xerotrace

Xerotrace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What Bed???:D it'll be gone when i get my kds 55a2000 and armchair... :double super grin:

6. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Has anyone taken the plunge on the komponent 120 at the current sale prices?

Looks wise it would match my a'divas (colour and style) and would be wall mountable. I currently have a PV1 for similar reasons ('cept the wall mountable bit), but the Linn would probably fit better into my new place.

7. theone

theone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
  9. BinBash

BinBash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I picked up the Komponent AV system from PT a couple of weeks back. Pros were the looks (I love them personally and we have a very minimal living room), the musical ability, the WAF, etc. I demo'd a couple of other systems -- found the Monitor Audio RS quite excitable top-end which I knew would grate after a while. The Linns are extremely musical.

I wasn't amazingly happy with the sub when I first got them home, but after a visit from the brother (sound-engineer) we sorted out the positioning (very important on this one due to upwards firing I guess) and EQ...

Now all I can say is it's fantastic -- the response is deepened, and the speed and accuracy is awesome. Fine it doesn't go as low at the BK Monolith (ex-flatmates) than I've spent the last 2 years with, but I'd say it's much better for music. I wanted tight bass rather than "shake the building" anyway (living in a flat) and it's still loud enough that I worry about the neighbours.

The 110 fronts make very easy listening with amazing imaging, and the 106 centre is very well matched and integrates well. The mid-range is quite strong, but nothing EQ'ing won't sort for personal taste. My bro thought they sounded pretty good, which is something from someone with a DSP-A1 and Meyer HD-1's...

All in all it's a nice setup for the money, and you effectively get the sub for free if you buy the bundle (compared with the sale prices for the other speakers at PT). Just give yourself a few hours to open the 12 boxes and put it all together!