LINN KINSKY Alternative software?

daverob

Am experiencing problems with my Linn Kinsky software -basically - it keeps "crashing" when trying to access info. Any thoughts to the alternative KAZOO? or perhaps, there is a better alternative software to access my downloaded CDs? Any help would be much appreciated.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
What OS are you using it on?

IIRC Kinsky is an Openhome control point. If you're using Android then BubbleUPNP is by far the best streaming app I've tried that does support Openhome

Last edited:

daverob

Hi Jamie. Many thanks for your reply. the OS I am using is Apple (iPad) all my current ripped CDs (FLAC) are stored on a Buffalo NAS. Thanks again

Cebolla

What OS are you using it on?

IIRC Kinsky is an Openhome control point. If you're using Android then BubbleUPNP is by far the best streaming app I've tried that does support Openhome
Kinsky supports standard UPnP/DLNA streamers as well as OpenHome streamers, though that doesn't affect your BubbleUPnP Android app recommendation, as it also supports both as well as Google Cast/Chromecast.

Cebolla

Am experiencing problems with my Linn Kinsky software -basically - it keeps "crashing" when trying to access info. Any thoughts to the alternative KAZOO? or perhaps, there is a better alternative software to access my downloaded CDs? Any help would be much appreciated.
Unfortunately, Linn have rather neglected the older Kinsky app in favour of the newer Kazoo app, so it's no surprise it's a bit buggy.

What streaming device are you using the standard UPnP/DLNA and OpenHome Kinsky controller app with?

The Linn Kazoo app may not be suitable, as that can only control OpenHome supporting streamers.

my current ripped CDs (FLAC) are stored on a Buffalo NAS.
What model is your Buffalo NAS, exactly?

It may be able to run the BubbleUPnP Server helper software, which would allow you to use the Linn Kazoo app with a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer - so would useful if your streamer is also a standard UPnP/DLNA streamer instead of an OpenHome one.

Last edited:

daverob

Hi Cebolla. sorry for the delay in replying, wasn't too well, but now better!! The make of Buffalo NAS is: LS-WVL series. the streamer I am using is the Linn DSM. Would it be possible not to use either the KINSKY OR Kazoo and transfer all of my downloads to another software and transfer all my downloads? Any further help will be much appreciated. Thank you for all the help to date.

Cebolla

No need to apologise - glad you're better!

Ok, since you are using a Linn DSM streamer, then it definitely supports OpenHome streaming, so no need for installing the BubbleUPnP Server on your NAS to provide OpenHome. The Linn DS streamers are of course what the Linn Kazoo (OpenHome only) controller app was originally designed for.

I can understand why you are having problems with the older Kinsky controller app, but what exactly are your problems using the newer Linn Kazoo controller app with the Linn DS?

It may even be possible that it's a UPnP/DLNA media server problem, rather than a controller app problem. For example:
- It is the media server application running on the Buffalo NAS (I believe Buffalo use Twonkymedia as their stock media server) that is what reads the music file information to categorise them into albums, artists, genres, etc and passes that information to the controller app when the controller app requests it;
- It is also the same media server that directly provides the Linn DS streamer with the audio files. So during playback, the controller app does not itself handle the audio files as it only instructs the streamer as to which audio files the streamer should fetch (ie, stream) directly from NAS's media server.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom