1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn keilidh's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by atacam, May 21, 2005.

1. atacam

atacam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jusyt want to pick the brains of the experts.

I want to sink these into a custom made cabinet, with doors in front. This way when not being used they can be housed out of sight and out of touching distance for baby other half is planning :eek:

I think they can be housed as they have no back firing pots, theat are a completley enclosed unit. Is this right?

Please help as I don't want to get rid of them for som book shelf speakers.

:lease:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You could certainly do this,as you're correct in saying that they have no rear-facing ports or drivers,but having owned a set some yrs ago,both in passive and active form,I think I can say with some confidence that the results will be poor....they need careful positioning,away from room edges and other surfaces(with your cabinet in mind) to give anything like their best,and I found mine worked best at least a couple of feet out into the room,and toed in towards the listening position.

You will also lose the benefit of the bases to the speakers,and in particular the stone bases if you have those.

3. atacam

atacam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the reply. I am aiming to put them on the floor still inside the cabinet, bit hard to explain but they will sit in a sort of hollow. I think the best thing I can do is try it and see. If not then I will have to get some smaller speakers :(

They are only being used as fronts to my pro logic system now, as all the music is played in the dinning room now.

Once again Thanks.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I see what you're getting at....as a means of protecting them,it may work,but we also had 2 small kids getting around when I had the Keilidhs,and coped without moving the speakers...we may simply have been lucky in not having them damaged,but worth considering.