1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Keilidhs - How to convert Active to Passive?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Simon78, May 20, 2005.

1. Simon78

Simon78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - anyone able to provide a simple explanation of what is involved in the process of changing an active Linn Keilidh back to passive - I am afraid I need laymans language - though my brother will be completing the task and is much more up on the technical aspect so I may be able to just show him any answers

Many thanks

Simon

2. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hmmm...I'm actually looking to do the opposite myself soon. Shame we don't live that near each other, otherwise we could just swap speakers!

As I understand it, there's a link inside the cabinets (between the banana sockets and the passive crossover) which gets cut when converting from passive to aktiv, so I guess that you need to remake it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which this link is...

I seem to remember hearing that the difficult bit is actually taking out the main speaker driver, as you do this mod from the front of the speaker, not the back.

Hope that helps. Is there any chance you could take a few pictures when you do it? This would help me when I come to do passive > aktiv.

Thanks,

Rowland

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Take out the bottom mid driver.

Unscrew all the six 4mm sockets to allow you to pull the passive crossover out the hole where the mid unit is.

You should see the instructions on the passive crossover of how to convert to aktiv. Do the reverse. Two speaker cable wires need de-soldered and moved back to where they were and there may be licks to get remade as well but it's been a long time since I've done it....

Gordon

4. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cool. Thanks Gordon. Now I just need to wait for my AV5125 to come back from Linn and then get hold of some Aktiv cards...