1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Keilidhs - activ conversion whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chedmaster, Aug 29, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I often read here that Activ conversion on Linn speakers gives a big difference and although I know roughly what it is/involves, I'm not really sure.

AFAIK its bi-amping basically (or tri-amping :devil: ) but I have no idea why you need those PCI type cards and where you need them and how to fit them etc.

Can someone enlighten me with a basic shopping list (assuming we have an LK180 pre-amp and an LK280 power amp bi-wired to Linn Keilidhs Passive (two sockets in back blocked over and passive not ticked obviously))

Thanks guys.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hi....I've had Keilidhs in passive and active forms,plus a Keltik system as well....in passive form,a crossover network inside the speaker cabinet divides power from your amp,and directs it to the HF/LF units respectively.
    There are some power losses in the passive crossover,plus the aspects of whatever load(reactive etc) that it poses to the amp.

An active crossover sits between the pre amp and power amps,and divides the low level signal into feeds for separate power amps for the Hf and LF(and mid range if appropriate)units,which are driven directly by their own power amps for each.

The losses are minimal,and each amp sees only a very simple load,thus maximising power.
    Also,a lot of active crossover incorporate a degree of adjustment for the HF level,and may also allow you to boost/shelf/or cut bass level.

It isnt like bi or tri-amping,in that each drive unit has its own dedicated power amp,and the crossover is in the low level section of the signal chain.

For your system,you'd need another LK280,plus the active crossover cards for each amp as a minimum to get started,and your dealer can fit these if you don't feel like it.

Vastly superior to passive,bi or triamped....much faster,better controlled and better bass also.

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    perfect, thanks alot :thumbsup:

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Hope it helps....it really does make a very significant difference,and moves the performance up several notches.

You aren't necessarily tied to Linn amps either,if you use Linn's Tunebox,which is essentially an offboard power supply for the crossover cards...these turn up on ebay etc from time to time,and arent cheap new from a dealer.

As I've said,I've had both Keilidhs and the larger Keltiks(which are only active)and if there is anything I can help with,please ask.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks, there is one thing, i saw a tutorial a while back about removing a driver and putting a card in there, is that a new passive crossover or a further upgrade for active?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think what you're referring to there is the means by which a set of Keilidhs can be changed to active,by internally bypassing the passive crossovers.

If I remember,all passive Keilidh's can be biwired.

The other upgrades that may be appropriate to you,if your speakers are more than a few yrs old,would be a HF unit upgrade,to a more modern ceramic dome tweeter,and also the stone bases,both of which are worthwhile upgrades.

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    we have the bases, i think i saw the HF driver on ebay a while back. ill discuss all this with the father and see what he says :)

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Both are worthwhile....the HF unit upgrade gives a smoother and more extended treble,with better imaging,but by far the biggest change is had by going active.

9. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There are two parts to going aktiv:

1 - Remove the passive crossover from the speakers (this has been described before on this board, and involves removing one of the drivers from the speakers, then removing a link on the crossover. Search for a post by Gordon Fraser for Keilidh instructions).

2 - Add an active crossover to the amps. You need to get the correct "Aktiv" cards for your amp/speaker combination. In your case, I think that you'll need the mono keilidh cards (there's a set on eBay at the moment) and you'll also need a second LK280 or similar amp.