1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Keilidh and Kef iQ : good combination ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mawetph, Oct 18, 2005.

1. mawetph

mawetph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have two enclosures Linn Keilidh supplied with two amplifiers Linn LK100 (passive).
    In HiFi this configuration satisfies me fully.
    I would like to make evolve my system in HC.
    I think of buying: Amplifier Cambridge 540R
    KEF iQ and a sub B&W: KEF iQ6C + KEF iQ1 + B&W ASW600.
    I do not have the possibility of transporting my LK100 and my Keilidh in a retailer to make a listening with the KEF.
    Are Linn Keilidh and KEF iQ a good combination ?
    In advance thank you.

2. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I found it difficult to match the sound from my Linn Keilidh's. In the end, I bought a Linn Centrik, which worked nicely. However, I'm about to change from a 28" CRT to a plasma screen, so I'm going to have to change the speaker too (the Centrik is very thin but deep, designed to sit under a CRT screen).

Is it possible for you to take the Keilidh's to a dealer in the back of your car, even if you don't take the LK100s? I really would advise it, since they are difficult to match.

3. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think Linn and Kef are a good combination. Linn produces a rather closed sound while Kef produces a much open sound.

It is rare to find people who like both speakers. They produce an opposite sound.

4. mawetph

mawetph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mentally,
    Ok, it is better to exclude Kef.
    Would JM Lab be appropriate it (2 * Chorus 706s + CC700s) ?
    Thank you for your opinion.

5. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JM Lab produce a sound closer to Kef than to Linn. You should look for Epos or Quad speakers.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Linn are extremely hard to match in my experience, even amps to speakers. A Linn system is usually mostly or all Linn. The Cambridge will also struggle to drive a Linn Centrik I fear. The best thing would be to either trial some or try and get the keilidhs down to the store :(

7. Turlough

Turlough

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    How about some second hand Linn speakers ?

Centrik I (the Keilidh without a bottom) which would work for surrounds and Centrik II (the flat and deep AV speaker mentioned above) for centre. Or a pair of Kans plus a Tukan.

There are lots of the older Linn speaker range around, all of which would tonally match the Keilidhs.

These could be powered by another two LK100s, LK85s, LK140s or an AV5125.

That just leaves the pre-amp/processor which depends on your current set-up, e.g. a Linn Kairn would happily work alongside most processors, whereas you could try a second hand Linn AV5103 which does it all (at least DD & DTS 5.1 anyway).

It all depends how much and what future upgrades you fancy.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Linn gear traditionally works best with other Linn gear(I've owned Kelidh's...active and passive,and also Keltiks)although they do work well with a number of amps from other companies.

As everyone else has said so far,I'd add my bit in saying that trying to match radically different speakers in a system is unlikely to give the best results overall,and if you're going to keep the Keilidhs,which are still perfectly decent speakers,then looking to Linn for a solution would be the best way.

9. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    mawtph,

If you're interested, I've got a Centrik and a pair of Kans which I'd consider selling (PM me if you're interested). Obviously, I'm biased, but I reckon they'll be a much better match for your Keilidh's than anything non-Linn.

Amps wise, I'd probably see if you can buy an AV5125 (about £900 second hand) and use that for your Keilidh's and the centre channel, then use one of your LK100s for the rears and sell the other one (you should get £250-300 for it on eBay).

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    rowlandhills...may be worth reading the forum rules re trading,and in particular those regarding PMs

http://www.avforums.com/forums/view.php?pg=trading_rules&

Otherwise,very good advice,and should be helpful alongside all of the other advice to stick with Linn,assuming the Keilidhs are retained.

11. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Apologies. I wasn't thinking. Please don't PM me...:)

But if you're interested, let me know in a public forum, and then I'll put an advert up. I haven't yet decided whether I plan to sell them or not, but if you're interested, it could force my hand.