Linn Kan buzz

DevonDavid

Standard Member
I've a pair of Linn Kans (020183/4, Mk 1s I think) which I bought new in the 80s. I gave up using them because I could hear a buzz when playing bass notes on one of the pair. The cases were already tatty having been moved too many times and I assumed a repair would be extortionate. I got them out of the cupboard the other day as I was thinking I should dump them and connected them up. I'd forgotten how good these can sound for the type of music I love - acoustic instruments, female vocals sounded so much better than the Mordaunt Shorts I'd bought as a hasty replacement. But that buzz was still there. I was thinking maybe I could get them fixed or attempt a repair myself when I read a suggestion on another forum to see if upending the speaker fixed it. So I tried that and the buzz was gone! Great, so now I'm thinking what to do next. Should I still try to get a repair or just leave it like that upended? Speakers aren't meant to be upside down I guess and maybe this will cause further problems if left. Any suggestions?

Orobas

I've a pair of Linn Kans (020183/4, Mk 1s I think) which I bought new in the 80s. I gave up using them because I could hear a buzz when playing bass notes on one of the pair. The cases were already tatty having been moved too many times and I assumed a repair would be extortionate. I got them out of the cupboard the other day as I was thinking I should dump them and connected them up. I'd forgotten how good these can sound for the type of music I love - acoustic instruments, female vocals sounded so much better than the Mordaunt Shorts I'd bought as a hasty replacement. But that buzz was still there. I was thinking maybe I could get them fixed or attempt a repair myself when I read a suggestion on another forum to see if upending the speaker fixed it. So I tried that and the buzz was gone! Great, so now I'm thinking what to do next. Should I still try to get a repair or just leave it like that upended? Speakers aren't meant to be upside down I guess and maybe this will cause further problems if left. Any suggestions?
hi @DevonDavid This seems to be a quite well documented thing with the Kans from a quick google search and is mentioned over 3 or 4 years if this helps..

DevonDavid

Standard Member
hi @DevonDavid This seems to be a quite well documented thing with the Kans from a quick google search and is mentioned over 3 or 4 years if this helps..
Thanks, Orobas. Yes, I've spent some time already reading through other forums that mention Linn Kan problems. Lots of comments about how to go about getting the grills off and associated problems which discourages me from trying this unless I have to. What I'm not clear about is why inverting the speaker fixes the problem and if doing this will cause further damage.

Orobas

Thanks, Orobas. Yes, I've spent some time already reading through other forums that mention Linn Kan problems. Lots of comments about how to go about getting the grills off and associated problems which discourages me from trying this unless I have to. What I'm not clear about is why inverting the speaker fixes the problem and if doing this will cause further damage.
When you upend them.. you are placing the stress on the mountings in the opposite direction...

so.. EXAMPLE... instead of say "pulling" the bass driver out from the top.. by inverting.. you are now pushing it back in under its own weight.. for example

does that kinda make sense ?

DevonDavid

Standard Member
When you upend them.. you are placing the stress on the mountings in the opposite direction...

so.. EXAMPLE... instead of say "pulling" the bass driver out from the top.. by inverting.. you are now pushing it back in under its own weight.. for example

does that kinda make sense ?
Yes, that makes perfect sense and I'm very tempted to try and get the grill off to see if there's a defect in the mountings. I believe Linn themselves recommend cutting away the grill cloth to gain access as the grill frames are glued in place but I've read various alternatives. I'll investigate further today and post any progress.

DevonDavid

Standard Member
I've managed to get the grill off but there's nothing obviously fixable to be seen. The base driver is secured by hex screws and these are all tight. Removal of the grill was quite easy, I used a wide paint scraper and protected the case with some thin card, gently easing the long sides until it was free of the case. Not sure about the next step though, remove the base driver I suppose?

Attachments

• 20210526_141324 (Small).jpg
    20210526_141324 (Small).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15

Orobas

I've managed to get the grill off but there's nothing obviously fixable to be seen. The base driver is secured by hex screws and these are all tight. Removal of the grill was quite easy, I used a wide paint scraper and protected the case with some thin card, gently easing the long sides until it was free of the case. Not sure about the next step though, remove the base driver I suppose?
if you feel comfortable in digging deeper.. then yes the bass driver would be next as its the biggest hole.. then you can see inside the cabinet and whats loose etc

DevonDavid

Standard Member
Update. Solved. With the help of guys on the UK vintage radio repair and restoration forum I've fixed the issue. Simply turn the bass driver around 180 degrees. Apparently the cones can sag a little over time and that causes the buzzing. Taking the grills off and freeing the base unit wasn't actually very difficult at all despite some comments to the contrary I've read.

Orobas

Update. Solved. With the help of guys on the UK vintage radio repair and restoration forum I've fixed the issue. Simply turn the bass driver around 180 degrees. Apparently the cones can sag a little over time and that causes the buzzing. Taking the grills off and freeing the base unit wasn't actually very difficult at all despite some comments to the contrary I've read.
Glad you got it sorted easily with no damage to the Kans :) Thanks for the update and result of what the issue was

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom