linn k9 replacement

michael 38

hi ive just bought a linn axis off ebay and taken the k9 stylus into my local linn agent who said it is nackerd i wanted to fit a dennon dl110 cartridge they said that it would not have a high enough output for my arcam a 80 amp and i would have to turn it up to full volume to hear anything and suggested an audio technica 440 ml for £130 and would check the deck over while they had it what does everybody think

MyRDXS

hi ive just bought a linn axis off ebay and taken the k9 stylus into my local linn agent who said it is nackerd i wanted to fit a dennon dl110 cartridge they said that it would not have a high enough output for my arcam a 80 amp and i would have to turn it up to full volume to hear anything and suggested an audio technica 440 ml for £130 and would check the deck over while they had it what does everybody think

The AT440 cartridge has a 4 mV output but there are other cartridges that are cheaper that can exceed that, typically between 4 and 5.5mV, so why he recommended that cartridge specifically on the basis of output is confusing. He is correct that the Denon DL110 may not have sufficient output to drive standard Moving Magnet phono inputs as the DL110 only outputs 1.5mV.

As for the cost, you will have to decide if that is what you want to spend based on the rest of your system and your musical tastes.

AT work well with the Lynn arm, but others to consider would be:
GRADO PRESTIGE BLUE - Moving Magnet - Output 5mV approx £80
ORTOFON 2M RED - Moving Magnet - Output 5.5mV - Approx £70

or something that bit better go for something like the GOLDRING EROICA "H" (high output) at around £140

Good luck

michael 38

the only other cartridge the linn dealer had in that price range was a rega all his other cartridges were way more expensive they ain't into budget hi fi i looked at an ortofon red at a hi fi shop down the road who were prepared to fit it all in for £75 but the linn dealer said they are rubbish and they also offered to give my turntable a lube and look at the belts ect the problem is all my local hi fi shops stock a very small range of cartridges i would try fitting a cartridge myself but dont want to balls it up and the dealers offer to do it for free if you buy it from them

MyRDXS

I used to have a Rega deck and RB250 arm, the Rega bias cartridge. It was a nice sound, I suspect their newer cartridges such as the Elys 2 would be good, but unsure how it suits the Linn Arm. Linn tend to match to their own stuff.

I concur on the Ortofon Red it may not be that good - Ortofon tend to be better on their more expensive Moving coil cartridges

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom