Question Linn Genki- dosplay gone blank

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Linn Genki- was working fine. One evening I went to play a CD and the display was blank and not responding to any buttons pressed. The LED next to the power button still lights green.

Any ideas?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 781788

Linn are very good at supporting and servicing their equipment.
Before you try anybody, call them.
They may repair it for you, for the cost of shipping.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
A basic thing to try before phoning but have you tried unplugging it from the mains wait 5 mins then powering on again?

D

Deleted member 781788

That's tough luck!
I am gonna make a wild guess that the capacitors in the power supply section have dried up and failed.
Are you any good with a soldering iron?
If you are they are relatively easy to replace.
I can walk you through.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
That's tough luck!
I am gonna make a wild guess that the capacitors in the power supply section have dried up and failed.
Are you any good with a soldering iron?
If you are they are relatively easy to replace.
I can walk you through.
Hi Ken

Struggling to find anyone to repair this.

Is there anyway i can check the capacitors before unsoldering them?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Is there anyway i can check the capacitors before unsoldering them?
Other than physical checks (look for Swollen/bulging top) you can check for faulty in-circuit electrolytic capacitors with an ESR meter.
But you need to ensure they're fully discharged before putting the meter probes across them.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The charge decays over time & the higher the value in uF the longer they take. Leave switched off/unplugged for 24Hrs before putting ESR meter probes across them.
An ESR meter is a much better means of checking an electrolytic cap's health than a capacitance check.

D

Deleted member 781788

I would get back to Linn, and try to get a service manual. They may do that since they have stopped servicing them themselves.
Once you got the manual (or even a circuit diagram) you are more likely to be able to test and repair the equipment, if not yourself, maybe an engineer.
With a circuit manual or a circuit diagram, any competent electronic repairman, should be able to effect repairs.
If my original guess is correct (IF!) then the most probable culprit would be the one large switch mode capacitor inside the power supply module.
I would not try to remove the capacitor before discharging it - may have a few hundred volts in it.
I would get an equivalent capacitor and change it, even if it looks good, i.e. not bulging etc.!
first get your new cap, then discharge the old one, and replace it. do not confuse the positive/negative side or it will explode!
If you don't feel competent enough, stop! you will be meddling with a circuit that works with mains voltages and beyond.
reassemble, cross your fingers, plug in, and switch on.

Last edited by a moderator:

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Took apart the top off . There are four capacitors in the power supply one of which appears to be weeping?? Or could that be a glue to keep the cover on?

However if the capacitor was dead how comes the power LED Still comes on ? Wouldn't that be dead too? Pic attached .
Thanks for your help so far fellas .
IMG_7324.jpg

D

Deleted member 781788

Change all four for good measure.
The led gets its power from somewhere else.
The caps, are for switched mode section. The leaking cap is a good sign!
be careful , again they may have few hundred volts in them.
Discharge them using a chunky 1K ohm resistor for a few seconds, then short them out.
Order your capacitors first, making sure they are the right physical size too!
I am pretty sure, you will get it going.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
Change all four for good measure.
The led gets its power from somewhere else.
The caps, are for switched mode section. The leaking cap is a good sign!
be careful , again they may have few hundred volts in them.
Discharge them using a chunky 1K ohm resistor for a few seconds, then short them out.
Order your capacitors first, making sure they are the right physical size too!
I am pretty sure, you will get it going.
I think this is beyond my capability! I'm worried I'll end up killing myself. But good to know it looks like you found what the issue is!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom