1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Classik!! Which Speakers??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mr_fantazmo, Mar 4, 2003.

1. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!! I'm looking into buying the linn Classik music system. Haven't heard it as yet but i know it has had some superb reviews. However just as want some advice before i demo it. What speakers should i be matching with it? Bookshelf if possible. I have seen it advertised on a certain website for £999 including some linn Kann Speakers or £750 without. Is it worth going for the Kanns or are there other speakers in the £250 bracket i should look out for? Any info would be appreciaited, as i have never spent this much on hi fi before and it makes my ass wince at the thought of it :p . Cheers

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I've no experience of using them with the Linn system ... but the usual suspects in the £250 bracket would include B&W 601s3 (or 602s3 is you can stretch to £300), KEF Q1, Mission 780 (again £300 but reduced due to 780SE).

Remember though that the Linn system is good ... but might be worth considering your alternatives at £750 ... the Rotel RA-02 with RCD-02 spring to mind along with Arcam A75+ with CD72T ... both combinations while not as small as the Linn are not unattractive and may sound better for similar or less money.

3. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I use the Kans with my Classik, sounds lovely. Have a look at the Kans up close and check out the design and build quality vis-a-vis Kefs, B&W. Far better.
    Please, please don't use something as good as Linn with Mission speakers, it would be a real waste.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    A pair of B&W 601 S3 goes down a treat, perfect match.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Erm, have you heard all Mission speakers? I doubt it if your saying that, try listening to the 780s or M51's through some decent amplification, and it will become apparent your talking out of that big hairy barking spider of yours :p

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    There's nowt special about the current Kan II's.

The originals were meant to be much better.

7. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Classik Unik speaker? Haven't heard them myself, but would presume they've been tailored for use with the Classik.

I'm a Linn user myself, but I wouldn't necessarily overlook the likes of Mission etc to partner the Classik, they have more experience than Linn at putting out good speakers around £250 (of course if you can afford more get some Katans :D ).

8. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies!

To be honest i think i'll probably have a go with the kans and maybe try the b&w's.

I'd never try the missions simply because i think they look absolutely horrible and cheap!! I know they sound good, i've heard them but un fortunately i have to like the looks as well as sound!! Sad i know!:rolleyes:

Oh and katans!! I'm drooling right now!! :zonked:

9. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My statement regarding Mission speakers is based on a visit to their factory. So whilst I haven't heard all the models they produce I have seen how all the budget and mid market models are manufactured.
    Like my Grandad used to say," if you like sausages don't visit a sausage making factory, you'll never touch them again". Very witty retort though Paul, Oscar Wilde would have been proud of that one.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checkout Ruark Etudes, IMO sound better than B&W 6xx series.

Nathan

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Visit the Linn factory and you'll probably find that their budget and mid market speakers are put together in exactly the same way - if they're even put together by them and the contruction isn't outsourced to keep the costs low. Also wrt to Mission speakers ... how long ago was your visit and what speakers did you see manufactured?

I've no doubt that Linn to make some good speakers ... but like everyone if they're building a £250 speaker they arn't going to spend as much time constructing them as they would a £2500 speaker.

Vikki

12. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    In my experience the Linn Classik is just about the most unfussy bit of kit I've ever used. Try it with just about any 6 or 8 ohm speaker and it will sound great.:)

13. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most Linn speakers are a nominal 4 ohm load, so it's even less picky of awkward loads.

14. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Quite right....and if you find yourself a bit flush in the money dept. later on and feel 75w RMS isn't enough, add an LK85 or LK140 power amp to the Classik for another big step-up in sound quality:smashin:

15. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my humble opinion, look out for a pair of second hand Tukan. These are better then the Kans. However, you may push up the budget to a pair of AVI miniature monitors like AVI Pro Nine. For the past week I have to put the Classik back in the living room/main listening room, as the 2 thousand pound AV processor is waiting to be sent back to the manufacturer for upgrade. I am beginning to wonder if should bother. wolf

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    Well I have vistited the Linn factory....in fact I have worked there too.....

The speakers under the level of the Katan are made in far east. They are built to Linn design though. I never liked the cheapy vinyl wrap Kan that came out a few years ago. Trading on a classic name for a non-classic speaker.

The speakers they do make in Floors Rd are built by dedicated staff to a high standard. Each one is built like a big Airfix kit by one individual. Once built it is tested using advanced test equipment to make sure it meets technical specs. Then at least one unit in a batch is listened too against a reference. Each unit is signed on the back by person responsible for its construciton.

built/tested/packed.

Not many other factories like that.....

If anyone has an original Lingo or Spark from 1991 you might find GMF on it....if you do you'll be glad to know it is a superior product:laugh:

Gordon

17. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    In comparison though ... how would B&W N800 and KEF Reference ranges be made? (Not sure how they compare price wise with the Linns but would imagine they would be similar priced).

Vikki

18. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd give Dynaudio Audience 42's a listen. little bit more expensive but worth it, out-class the 601's and Q1 (not the 602's if you're after bass weight:p ) and the mission's IMO. Bit of an arse to drive though, so give them a listen but I'd think the classik would do it as I've run bigger speakers off a classik before and it was fine.:smashin: