1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Classik vs. Cyrus Quattro

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Donos, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a small & simple (low-box-count), but high quality CD/Radio solution, to connect to 4ohm speakers.

Shortlist is
    Linn Classik,
    Cyrus Quattro (with SmartPower, or Q-Power)

Any experiences / opinions ?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I prefer the Linn Klassik to just about any piece of kit in it's class. It is fantastic, very smooth, but powerful and able to drive 4 ohm speakers easily. It has more power than the Cyrus too.

I will admit I haven't heard the Quattro, but am familiar with other Cyrus kit and prefer the slightly warmer Linn sound. Depends on which speakers you choose too.

Price-wise I would bet the one-piece Linn is cheaper than the two-piece Cyrus and the Linn has 25 more Watts RMS too.

If you really want to seal the deal for the Linn, get the matching Linn LK85 power amp - together with the Klassik it will knock the basic Quattro into next week IMO. :smashin:

3. Donos

Donos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nobber22,

Speakers are Loewe L2A (separate active & passive inputs) ...
    Active inputs used for Home Cinema (audio interconnect from Loewe TV's internal Dolby Digital module). I plan to use 4ohm passive inputs for totally separate 2-channel playback.

Linn seemed an obvious choice (particularly as the L2A use Linn drives, so you would hope they are a good match) ... but the Quattro seems a nice package (extremely intuitive operation & simple remote ... and offers a very good upgrade path). Only problem is I can't find any Quattros in to compare (very few decent hi-fi shops left in Dublin).

** Has anyone had experience with Quattro (ideally in a head-to-head comparison with Classik) ?

4. texasboy

texasboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The Quattro coupled with either of the Cyrus power amps is a great option, much more exciting to listen to than the Linn which I feel is thin and boring in comparison.

The Smartpower is more capable than the Q-Power, but it depends how far you want to take it I guess.

The Q is perfectly adept at driving most loads, but the Smart can handle a more difficult load a lot easier.

Get a dem and make your own mind up though, you're the one who be listening to it after all!

5. tommyfly

tommyfly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm interested in these all-in-one (or two) systems. Can anyone advise on a comparison between either of the above and the Arcam SOLO?

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Ive only heard the Linn Classik with £600 Linn Katan speakers, I could easily live with this combo as a system, excellent device. The Solo has a DAB tuner which is crap as a medium, thats whats sets it apart from the Classik/Quattro, Id rather have a decent FM tuner than a DAB effort TBH. You can pick up Classiks for £700 - a bargain.

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The Arcam Solo has an FM tuner as well as DAB. So you can choose!

Tommfly - you will have to ask others for the comparison between the various models mentioned here. We have done it quite a few times and are more than happy though :)

There are Solo reviews in the current issue of Hi-Fi Choice and Hi-Fi News if that's of any help.

John Dawson (Arcam)

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I heard a Solo compared directly to a LINN Classic for about a 2hr demo. Speakers were LINN Katans. Hate to say it but I'd say musically the Arcam had the slight edge. I think it probably gets the nod looks wise as well.
    Good piece of kit, but then again the Classic can be snapped up and is still a very good player.

9. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    One other thing to bear in mind (although perhaps not so relevant in this particular case) is the expandability of the two systems. I'm looking at getting a Classik Movie Di, and part of my reason is that it will be with an external power amp and will also be linked to a multi-room system, and the Classik is able to cope with all of that admirably.

One problem some people have had though, to be honest, is fan noise. Mine will be in a cupboard, so I'm not that worried, but I'd say it's worth having a good listen (at normal listening volumes) to see if it bothers you.

10. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You make a fair point wrt expandability. The Solo has a simple second zone output at line level which has an independent volume control and a rear input for external IR control; the source is not independently selectable though. This is good for the kitchen, bathroom etc. Solo has a pair of pre-amp outputs which can feed an external power amplifier and the whole unit is also controllable through a RS232 serial port.

It was an important part of the Solo design specification NOT to have a fan, yet to have enough grunt to run loud continuously. This accounts for the fairly big heatsinks on the back of the unit!

John Dawson (Arcam)

11. tommyfly

tommyfly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all or the replies. I just listened to Solo with a pair of B&W 600 s3. Compared it with a Rotel RA 01 and Rotel cd player (forgot the model, doh!). The Solo was nice. Very mellow. Listened to Rush's Tom Sawyer/YYZ and Clapton's Unplugged (Old Love). I was rather impressed with the RA 01 on the Rush tracks. Though with the live cd the midrange was a little too forward. The Solo pleased me on the Clapton track. At the moment however the Rotel combo is better fr me budget-wise. I' just startng my search though. Plenty of time still...

12. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I'm looking at getting a 2nd hand Classik for the bedroom and wondered what speakers people would recommend. As it's in the bedroom, they're gonna need to be fairly small. Any ideas?

13. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Castle Richmond 3is Dude. Vastly underated and advertised speakers.

14. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Ideally I was looking for something smaller than that. That's assuming that there's anything out there smaller that will do a Classik justice!