Linn Classik Movie Di

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wolf, Mar 29, 2003.

1. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This thingy promises to offers the performance and features of the Classik Movie together with the added benefits of greater flexibility, additional processing power, superior audio and video performance plus surround sound decoding from external digital and analogue sources.

It can decode Dolby Digital/DTS, Pro Logic, Pro Logic II and comes with an electro-luminescent handset as well.

Anyone seen it is action? Cost?

2. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cost will probably be £3K, so my local hifi dealer told me today.

3. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds a lot. Maybe they are using the same drive as the Unidisk. I will go to Princess Square today to check if they have one.

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did not have time to see it yesterday. Just one question to other owners of the first Classik Movie. Any problems? I have a Linn Karik (& Kairn) which lasted for 8 years without problem. Change the Kairn to a Tag AV processor. The Tag is amazing for what it does but after 2 years it developed a fault. Need to test out the Tag reputation for after service.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    The Unidisk uses Linn's own custom designed cast mechanism. It is EXTREMELY unlikely it will be in a £3000 all in one player. I believe it will use an off the shelf third party plastic mech.

Gordon

7. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are going to use of somebody else off-the-shelf drive in the end of the day why do they spend lots for research and development but do not utilised knowledge gain in your products? Are you implying local Britain manufacturers are so cost ineffective that we cannot manufacture things in commercial value?

It seems this all-in-one new Classik Di will not be available for another few weeks. I have difficulty perceiving the value of the present Classik Movie system when Linn are asking for £2000 for it. It is very good for what it does but consider a few drawbacks, the main issues for me is the internal processor only produce external input like TV, VHS player as plain stereo only do not tempt this stingy Scot. If they allows 5.1 channel Dolby® Digital, Pro Logic II® and Dolby® DTS Decoding for all external inputs and the new Di is price around £2500 then I would be very much more tempted.

8. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Wolf:

Of course they use knowledge gained in r+d of top grade products when designing lower cost products. They will know what parts of a design can be compromised with minimal loss of image and sound quality for instance. It's the knowledge that is re-used more than actual parts.....

Gordon

10. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting words.