Linn Classik, Arcam Solo or Primare CDI10

RichardZE2

Established Member
Reaction score
Hola,
Am considering going for one of the systems in the title as a second hand one box solution for my living room. Have a pair of Dynaudio Audience 52's & a pair of AE 109's to choose from to partner the system, but am getting a bit confused with whether I should be worried about matching the design wattage of the system to that of the speakers - will it make much difference?

If anyone can point me to a simple guide explaining the importance of matching of power rating I'd be most grateful, and comparative merits of the systems also useful. Not fussed about DAB, SACD, MP3 etc, just AM/FM & CD.

Cheers
Richard

I wouldn't worry about the wattage too much. They're all punchy amps (not super powerful but enough) and will be fine with those you've mentioned. My Linn Classik (may soon be up for sale, keep an eye on the ads) drives my Castle Stirling floorstanders well enough. Beauty is you could always get an LK85 or 140 power amp and bi amp if you needed any more welly, but in all honesty for regular to 'what the b****y hell are you doing' levels (according to my S.O.) the Linn is fine...

Jason

The Primare has a better and more powerful class D amp... and the Dynaudios will need it...

The Primare has a better and more powerful class D amp... and the Dynaudios will need it...

Don't quite understand that - in terms of power Primare/Linn look similar on paper, what does Class D actually mean?

Ok, I've done some googling and now have some idea what a Class D amp is - but can anyone tell me what class amp the Classik & Solo use? Sorry if these are dumb questions :rolleyes:

Richard,

I really wouldn't get hung up on the differing kinds of amplification that each uses. IMHO, you need to consider 3 things.

1. How efficient your speakers are. Usually rated in dB per watt, so it may be a figure around 80-90, hihger being more efficient.

2. How much oomph your amp has - now I say ooomph rather than power (technical term I know) as I've had a little 30wpc amp drive inefficient speakers quite well, and sound good at normal listening levels - but you may find this combo running out of puff at higher levels.

3. How good it sounds! Obvious I know, but fundamental. All the products you're considering will drive *most* hi-fi speakers in the suitable price range fine - maybe not your esoteric high end stuff that will require an amp that keeps a real tight grip on them, and you may find one of your speakers sounds better than the other - but I'd find a friendly local dealer and let your ears decide. It'll depend on what music you like, how loud you like to listen...

HTH

Jason

Thanks Jason,
I'll calm down on the power front then. I don't have a local dealer is the main problem, I live in Shetland and its a long way to Aberdeen so I'm buying on a suck it and see basis.

I doodled up a plan C too :rolleyes: The Dynaudios are with an Arcam Alpha 9 & Marantz KIS 63 in my kitchen, where I like volume, so I could pick up an Alpha 10 to give it a little more welly and stick the Alpha 9 with the AE 109s in the living room, just leaves what CD to add to that - could err on the side of caution and get another marantz kis I guess, and then I need a tuner, which turns my neat, wife friendly, 1 box to a 3 box - oh dear

Thanks Jason,
I'll calm down on the power front then. I don't have a local dealer is the main problem, I live in Shetland and its a long way to Aberdeen so I'm buying on a suck it and see basis.

I doodled up a plan C too :rolleyes: The Dynaudios are with an Arcam Alpha 9 & Marantz KIS 63 in my kitchen, where I like volume, so I could pick up an Alpha 10 to give it a little more welly and stick the Alpha 9 with the AE 109s in the living room, just leaves what CD to add to that - could err on the side of caution and get another marantz kis I guess, and then I need a tuner, which turns my neat, wife friendly, 1 box to a 3 box - oh dear

... or use the Arcam Solo in a multi-room setup. It says to use a power amp but maybe you can utilise your existing Alpha 9 - check first I am unsure about this!!!

BTW the Primare is a very nice system - I demoed the Solo and Primare back to back and prefered the Primare.

I have Linn Classik with a pair of Linn Kan speakers in my front room and enjoy both the sound, design of the Linn one box solution. The Classik seems to have plenty of power to it and can play loud enough for me (I live in a semi)

Like the Arcam you can run multi room systems off it and if you are buying S/H you can get them at pretty reasonable prices. I listened to a Solo mini and preferred the classik (with everything from classical to Dubstep!)

If you are buying blind, you won't be disappointed with the classik.

Skive

If you are buying blind, you won't be disappointed with the classik.
How can you say that? YOU liking something is no guarantee that ANYBODY else will like it.

The 52se's really need some solid current behind them to sound at their best, like most of Dynaudio's speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom