Linn, BK or SVS?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by callahan, Sep 11, 2007.

1. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi

Been reading on here for a while now and wanted to get some advice on the best option for my room as I have no idea how (or where) to demo subs - unfortunately I have almost no space for a sub, so am looking for compromised designs (ie small or flat) for under about £600.

My shortlist so far is the Linn Komponent 120 (which would fit perfectly under my sofa - sorry:rolleyes:), the SVS PB10 NSD or the BK XLS200 ( either of which would have to go between the sofa and the wall).

Any opinions? The Linn seems good as it used to be £1,000 but is it?!

Thanks

2. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The SVS PB10 NSD is not really ...

:smashin:

3. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Indeed, the PB10 is quite large.

4. Andori

Andori

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    It's the SB12+ that is the small one.

5. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ah, sorry, must have misread the website.:rolleyes:

So, assuming I meant the SB12+, which is the best option?

Also, none of them will fit under my sofa, so forget that daft idea!

Thanks

6. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    I don't know the linn but if it is that small i suggest it is likely the SB12 will have it for breakfast. It is certainly in a league above the little BK and is not so far off it's big brother the Monolith although it has to concede in depth so I am told :)

7. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The Linn is at the bottom of this page: http://www.linn.co.uk/komponent and is part of a pretty expensive range, so I thought it should be quite good. They're bringing out a new one soon, hence half the retail price.

Thanks

8. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    As I said I don't know anything about it but I wouldn't buy a sub that looks like a fancy cow-pat no matter how good it sounded. ;)

The fact they call it a 'Bass-Reinforcement Loudspeaker' rather than a subwoofer would seem to speak volumes for it's performance, at least in terms of depth.

Adam

9. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    lol, fair point. A friend of mine calls it the biscuit tin, but I think cow pat is more apt.

I've been reading around a bit more (which is always a mistake when you have a budget;)) and saw the SVS cylinder thingys on the power buy, which look interesting.

I only have experience of the usual domestic subs such as REL, B&W and a bit of Sunfire (wish I could afford one of them, it would be perfect) - how do the BK and SVS offerings compare? They look a similar size to the Quake and Sunfires, but how do they differ?

Sorry about all the questions, but I've never bought a sub before and I love my bass - just keep it clean ;) - the bass, that is.:)

10. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    No, they're half retail price (and have been for some while), because they're not very good. Crustyloafer, who is a reatailer on here said it was one of the worst subs he had ever heard, or words to that effect.

I would suggest that unless you're spending serious amounts of cash, funny shaped subs are using up a fair part of the performance cash to supply funky cabinets/styling solutions.

Solid engineering in a solid cube is where you should be looking.:)

Russell

11. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Point taken, square and sensible it is then.

So the options have now shrunk by one & grown by two, so here's the four ;)

1. SVS SB12 Plus
    2. BK XLS200 (assuming the Gemini and Minotaur are too small to be any good?)
    3. REL Quake
    4. Sunfire D8 (wasn't this called the Bob Carver D8 a while back?)

So, which is 'the best' and which is the best value for money in people's opinions of course.

Thanks again

12. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    In case Russell missed your question about the PCUltra 13 cylinder, then this is probably one of the best subs you can buy and it is a huge furry toilet roll :D

If you are looking at this kind of sub we really need to know a bit more about your room size, neighbours etc. as there are more things to consider when you get into these kind of 'super-subs' :)

The PC would laugh in the face of your shortlist, wobble your innards and liquify your brain, which is ok if you like that sort of thing:devil:. it will also undoubtedly be harder to set up and may require some more expenditure on an EQ device... be warned they are fun though :D

13. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Indeed I was typing whilst he was posting.

Clean bass rules out the Quake for starters.

The D8 is just about the most fun thing I have ever watched, but distortion is so audibly high that everything sub 30Hz sounds exactly the same. Or at least it did when I heard it, which funnily enough was the same day as the first SB-12 I've heard.

The XLS-200 is staggering for the money and makes a mockery of the D8s price tag, bettering it in every respect bar size.

The SB-12 is probably best described as a slightly louder, lower distortion version of the XLS-200, the larger higher quality driver giving it a significant advantage low down.

As a bass fiend, I think the SB-12 is worth the extra, but for music or moderate volume use the difference may not be so apparent.

Russell

14. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry, been watching Dexter, what a great programme.

Anyhoo, the biggest problem I have is that my living room is open to the dining room, which is open to the kitchen. The stairs are also open from the living room to upstairs where my two children (3.5 and 6 months) sleep, so any sound is transmitted straight upstairs & it's a big volume to pressurise.

Luckily, I've been playing fairly loud music since they were born, so they don't wake up to much :smashin:

Next problem is that the only place I can put a sub is under the open stairs (now that the sofa idea has been kiboshed) which may make the sound transmission upstairs even worse.

Room is about 4m square, amp is an Arcam avr250, speakers are a strange mixture, but all small hence the need for a sub.

From what russ.will says it looks like the SB-12 and XLS-200 are the best options for what I need.

Sorry for the ramble, but any help appreciated.:)

15. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Sounds like you have the ultimate bad location for your sub :D

My lounge was similiar to that a few years ago with a permanently open door and a stairwell in the middle. I had no end of problems with bass suck-out and your layout seems like it may be even more prone. However you can't really tell until you try it.

I would suggest you try and find a way to get the sub located between the front L+R speakers as this often turns out to be the easiest location for integration.

Because of your layout I would recommend getting the best sub you can, the SB12 would seem the better choice as it has some onboard EQ which I think you may well need :)

Adam

16. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I thought as much :(

Unfortunately I have a large oak cabinet between my front speakers, with plasma on top, equipment and centre inside (behind grille cloth), so no room at all for a sub.

Might see if I can borrow a sub for a while to work out positioning before I take the plunge, then I can know exactly what I need.

Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

17. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Me again;)

Been looking into this further and think that the BK XLS200 is the sub for me, in a lovely oak finish :clap:

However, I was just working out frequencies etc to see how it would work in my setup and I noticed that my main front 2 go down to "-3dB/28-18,000 Hz" which is pretty low and not that far off a sub. Specs here: http://www.shahinianacoustics.com/ - click on Obelisks.

So, the question is, should I bother with a sub, or would I need a much better / bigger / more expensive one to give me a real difference with my main speakers?

Out of interest my centre is a Definitive Technology Pro Centre, rears are Canton CD10's, amp is an Arcam AVR250.

Thanks again

18. callahan

callahan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just e-mailed Tom at BK and he recommends the Monolith as the XLS200 may not make a big difference considering my main speakers.

I started this thinking I could fit a small sub under or behind my sofa, now I'm trying to get a Monolith to fit :eek:

I may be able to get away with putting my PC on top of it, but will need some sound deadening to stop it rattling....

Cheers