1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn AV5125 vs LK140

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by tufty, Dec 12, 2004.

1. tufty

tufty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I currently have a Linn Classik Movie di with the classik Uniks and Afekt Sub. I would like to eventually upgrade to a fully aktiv system using Katans a Trikan and suitable power amps and eventually perhaps a Unidisk SC.

I will be upgrading the system in phases and the first phase is to improve 2 channel performance with 2 Katans and a power amp. Bering in mind that I eventually want a fully aktiv 5 channel system, (i.e. 10 channels of amplification), would I be better building up to two AV5125s or five LK140s.

Obviously I have a lot of flexibility integrating the new kit with my existing system as I build it up, but I don't know which path to take,

AV 5125 or LK140?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Matt

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Just my opinion here,but having compared a number of Linn's lower powered amps,incl the LK140 with others including the now superseded Klout,and those from other manufacturers,I did find the LK140 a bit lacking at higher power levels,especially when running things like Linn Keltiks.
    They're nice power amps,well made,and with a good clear sound,within their limits,which i suppose you could say of many amps,but do ensure you listen to others before buying,and remember that Linn make an offboard crossover for just that requirement,should you wish to use Linn speakers in an active sytem without their amps.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Have to agree with Alex, the 140 isn't Linns best amp. I've only heard the 5125's a few times but would say they are in a different league to the 140.
    Densen are a good match for Linn Speakers they also offer the option of custom Active Boards. I was warned off there CD players because of reliabilty issues but the amps are fine.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Well just to throw a spanner in the works I'd say two channels of LK140 is better than the 5125, although not as pretty to look at.

Gordon

5. tufty

tufty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well you've given me something to think about, maybe I should be looking at other speakers too!

I have been impressed and happy with my current system but am now becoming to realise it's limitations. I had a demo in the summer of some katans first of all running off just a Classik Music, then bi-amped with 1 LK140 and the CM. Before the the LK140 was added I didn't think there was a big difference from my current setup, but when the LK140 was added I noticed a big difference. The idea of eventually upgrading to active also makes sense and that is why I had originally chosen to stick with Linn, I liked the sound from my existing system and at least keeping all linn, it should sound OK together.

However your comments have now made me realise there are other options outside of Linn, but it is difficult to demo everything, so I must build up a shortlist. So any further recommendations in a similar price bracket would be appreciated.

In the past I have demoed and liked Linn and Rotel Amps and sources. As well as Focal JM Lab, Linn and B&W Speakers.

I did not like Kef speakers (I thought the timing was poor) and found Arcam kit to be a bit too soft.

I havent't had the chance to demo much other higher end kit yet so based on my experiences above could you point me in the right rdirection of other kit to look at (or should that be listen to!) I know this is at risk of now going off topic but I am still looking at comparable kit.

Matt

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    My own favourites for working with Linn speakers are Krell and Bryston,but in the lower price ranges,Rotel,and possibly used/exdem Klouts are well worth looking for,and the Klout is way better than either a Rotel,or an LK140.

7. pbickley

pbickley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

Can someone who actually has an AV5125 comment on the fans in it ?

Specifically, how noisy is it compared to, say, the Classik Movie Di ?

Would I have to hide it away ?

Cheers,

Phil.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Just to let you know that other amplification goes with Linn speakers imo. I currently Bi-amp my Ninka's with an Arcam A75+/P80 combo and although not as powerful as some amps sound very good to my ear. I have a good cdp (imo) a Naim CD5i at the front end which coupled with the Arcam amplification and Linn speakers gives great results with music or part of a home cinema for movies. I'm also looking to go active in the next six months or so and would be interested to hear your thoughts on which way you go. I could use the A75+ as a pre-amp and buy another P80 with a Linn Aktive tune box and go Aktive now or bide my time and change the amplification side altogether. I'm not entirely sure which way to go:confused:

9. parky43007

parky43007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I use two 5125's activ in my system - The fans hardly ever come on. In fact the only time I've noticed them two summers ago (bear in mind I live in Spain). I used to have a Classik movie and couldn't live with the fan so went the seperates route.
    By the way, the move from passive to active was an immense change.