1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linn Aktiva System

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gazzerr, Nov 1, 2003.

1. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see Linn have just announced a new speaker designed for surround sound. The mains and centre are 5 way speakers which got me thinking about the benefits and disadvantages , I always thought the more the better but is that right?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I don't know if it was the "Akurate" system that you are referring to or not,but assuming that it is,you will notice that 3 of the 4 or 5 drive units in the systems are Linn's time aligned 3D speaker array,and are basically designed to function as one time-aligned unit from mid to high frequency.

The assumption that more drivers is better isn't always correct,but certainly Linn's previous multidriver options have been very good(I used to have a set of triamped active Keltiks)and another point worth mentioning is that their speakers invariably sound better in full active configurations,with good,high current power amps.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    An Akurate 7.1 system is in use at the Scottish Hi-Fi show this weekend in Edinburgh. Never hear DVD through it but did hear CD, SACD and DVD-A from Unidisk, Kisto and aktiv with Klimax's.

I know the Unidisk is an excellent CD player so was very disappointed in the sound with the CD's they played. However SACD was MUCH better. In fact it was excellent.

Back on topic. I'm with Alexs2, in that more is not always better but if designed well multi array aktiv units like this can be superb

Gordon