Linksys wireless N & Belkin N don't mix well

jet_andy

Yes, I know it's a draft format, so there will be issues, but just in case anyone's having the same trouble -

I recently got a Linksys DMA2100 MC extender so decided to upgrade to wireless N. Got the Linksys WAG325N so as to keep all same make - less problems with the N I thought. I plug the DMA2100 into the router via a LAN cable, and wireless to the PC. Linksys N USB adapter hasn't arrived yet, so I borrowed a Belkin N USB adapter.

Although it works initially, after a very short time the connection drops out. Through a process of elimination, using 2 Dell laptops as well, found it was the Belkin. Thing is, it would sometimes crash the router, and so take out the connection to the laptops. Router then needed a re-boot. I had latest firmware in both.

Belkin works fine on my old Linksys wireless G router.

As a by-the-way, one of the Dell laptops has an Intel N wireless card. To get the Intel working on N, I had to go to WPA encryption, on WEP it would only operate at G speeds.

Linksys N USB adapter will hopefully arrive in a day ot two.

beerhunter

Novice Member
It has been said on these forums many times that in order to ensure interoperability with 802.11n, one needs to use kit from the same manufacturers.

mroshaw

Novice Member
Thanks for this. I have a Belkin N router and USB adapter in my desktop - was going to try an Intel Wireless N card in my laptop, but may leave that for now!

Is it the case that kit that shares the same draft version (currently draft 3.02 or 4.0, I think) should work together? I say should - I guess from beerhunters comment, it doesn't!

jet_andy

The Linksys N adapter did arrive, and all is working well, Connection speeds of 270-300Mbps most of the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom