1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linksys Network Storage Link

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by HMHB, Sep 24, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Has anyone used the Linksys NSLU2 ? This connects to your router and allows you to connect a couple of USB2 hard drives to it. I'm looking for a cheap way of sharing my USB drives without having to have a computer switched on all the time.
    Linksys NSLU2

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I've just spotted this review on amazon:-

This unit is actually a very very small and cheap Linux Server with an ethernet port and two USB 2.0 ports. It's stock firmware spports sophisticated user management and backup utilities. You will need to purchase your own USB hard drives to plug into it, and currently the stock firmware will not let you attach FAT32 (i.e. Windows) formatted drives to it. The NSLU2 will need to format the drives to a Linux format (ext3) to manage sophisticated user quotas and access restrictions which FAT32 does not support. This restriction may be eased by some of the ongoing work in customising this little box since the Open Source community worked out how to improve the device.
    Since the Tom's Networking article a highly active community has formed which have taken it upon itself to customise this item with additional functionality such as iTune servers, mail servers, CVS servers etc, SSH, print servers, Fat32 support, etc.

I'm not sure I'd want to have to re-format my drives, so maybe this is not the answer for me.

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Perhaps build a small miniITX box? small, silent, and you could probably find some more uses for it than just NAS. A little bit expensive to save turning another PC on, but not really anywhere near the cost of a NAS box.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Thats the conclusion I'm reaching to be honest. I'm not sure if I should build a very small cheap miniITX one or one of the Shuttles ? I assume the Shuttle type ones will be noisier and cost more to run ?

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    A miniITX one would be really cheap to run (50watts?) and totally silent as you could plump for one of the less powerful ones which are 100% fanless, with external fanless power supply. The shuttle box will also cost quite a bit more to build, a mini ITX board should set you back about £70 with onboard everything, and CPU hardwired onto the board, and the older boards will take PC133 ram, which you'll be able to get pretty cheap (free?) for just a box to switch on and server hard drives. I guess the immediate advantages over NAS that come to my mind are:

network Print server
    networked audio player
    simple internet box for e-mail etc..
    full time xbox tunnel (if that's your thing)

most of them have tv out too, so you'd basically have a crippled HTPC

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I'm currently looking at the Via Epia-M 10000 Nemehiah motherboard to acheive this. I think this one has a fan for cooling so may not be as quiet as the less powerfull Epia boards, but I was a little worried that the less powerfull ones wouldn't be able to cope with DVD and DIVX replay.
    Any thoughts ?