1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linksys Media B Adapter and XP SP2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by johndon, Sep 9, 2004.

1. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Does anyone have a Linksys Media B Adapter running on XP Service Pack 2.

I've got one which worked perfectly prior to installing SP2. Following the install, the adapter will recognise the wireless link and detects the signal strength but the just stops 'Waiting for host'. I've reformatted my PC, reinstalled XP & SP2 and set the firewall permissions for the shared folders on the PC.

I've no idea what's causing the problem as I can connect and play the music on a laptop over the wireless network so I don't think it's a problem with either permissions or the firewall, I just can the adapter to get past the 'Waiting for host' message.

Anyone got any ideas?

John

2. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    SP2 has the unfortunate effect of doing this to some wireless hardware (but not all). I lost 2 different wireless connections on two different machines. Apparently there are three ways around this - you can read about it here: -

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101214.asp

I actually left HotFix Q815485 installed, and just used the WinXP wireless tools to connect (and not the Netgear ones). This also worked for a Binatone card I had in my laptop. Basically I removed the card drivers and tools, then re-installed the drivers. I then cancelled the manufacturer connection tool and just used the WinXp one.

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had similar problems getting a Netgear card working after installing service pack 2. It would only work with wep enabled if I allowed windows to configure it rather than the Netgear software. It worked fine if I disabled wep. I got round the problem by using wpa-psk security instead of wep. Not really sure of the differences but I believe wpa-psk is more secure anyway (rolling access codes?).

4. briancail

briancail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone figure out how to solve the problem of Linksys Media B Adapter and XP SP2? I am having the same trouble as reported above. Worked great before SP2

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I tried the other two suggestions with no luck (I didn't have the hotfix - I assume it's part of SP2).

I have managed to solve the problem by simply disabling the Windows Firewall - as the PC isn't connected to the web when I'm using it as a media server, it doesn't cause me any problems and the Media Adapter works again. :thumbsup:

John