1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linksys ADSL Gateway and PSP using WPA-TKIP

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Fjorko, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi

Have anyone experienced problems connecting using wireless to their Linksys or other make of routers/gateways with their PSP consoles ? :confused: My particular model is the Linksys WAG54GS, which seems to be a new model on the market.

It is running the latest firmware out of the box. I also bought a PCMCIA card at the same time for my wife's laptop ( also linksys ) and that connects just fine with WPA

If I use WEP(128bit) or NO encryption the PSP connects perfectly....

I do not want to drop my security to WEP. The gateway is running in Mixed (b & g ) mode so the PSP should be able to connect using the 802.11b standard...

I'd like to hear from others experiencing this as well.

Cheers :smashin:

2. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Probably no use what so ever (and maybe also off topic :S) but we bought a Linksys wireless router and had no end of problems with it. Damn thing just wouldn't stay connected. After looking for reviews/opinions on the net it turns out Linsys are a bit pants, nearly everything we read was negative! :(

In the end we returned it and replaced it for D-Link which has run just dandy since. Oh and the PSP has no probs connecting to the network although i have yet to try it on the internet.

3. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    IIRC, the PSP does not support WPA. I know they say it does, but I don't think it actually works.

Anyone actually got it working with WPA?

I can't even get mine to support WEP, unless I make my system open. While that's not ideal, I can at least restrict the MAC addresses that can connect to my network. I know that can be spoofed, but in all honesty I doubt anyone would think it was worth

4. RichKS

RichKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
  5. zoidy

zoidy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi,

I have had problems using WEP 128 bit from the PSP to my Netgear router, but WPA works perfectly well for me. This is one thing stopping me from going to the dark side and downgrading as I will probably have to try and reduce my WiFi encryption to WEP 64 bit which may work ok, but is not ideal for security.

Apparently the PSP has some WiFi compatibility issues with certain routers and I have heard that this is going to be addressed by one of those additional firmware upgrade features Sony will try to temp PSPers with in the future.

Cheers,
    Z.

6. merlin-thewizar

merlin-thewizar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a Linksys 354g gateway/router and my PSP connects to it using WPA-TKIP without problems.

Only PSP firmware 2.00 supports WPA, if your firmware is any older then you will only be able to use WEP.

James