Links not working

pantages

Prominent Member
Reaction score
When I click on a link it doesn't work. e.g: I was searching through a website which has a link to another but when I click the link nothing happens. This applies to various sites. Can anyone help please?

could it be that in those cases a pop-up has to launch, and you have blocked pop-ups for that domain??
(bottom right thingy to click on and change pop-up blocker settings with Firefox)

if indeed this applies in general, how are you getting on with AV forums ... i.e. clicking between forum page and threads?

krish72 said:
could it be that in those cases a pop-up has to launch, and you have blocked pop-ups for that domain??
(bottom right thingy to click on and change pop-up blocker settings with Firefox)

if indeed this applies in general, how are you getting on with AV forums ... i.e. clicking between forum page and threads?

Thanks krish72. Moving around the forums is not a problem, it seems to me to be with 'hyper'? links. Example: I was searching FindDVD for a title which was not available as a Region 2, so FindDVD gave me a link to a US site:

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?

When I click on it I don't get a link. This happens in other similar cirumstances. I tried system restore, (to 15 August), but it has made no difference.

www.find-dvd.co.uk/r1/index.htm
- thats their R1 site

and say I do a search on Remington Steele Season 3, the results are on this page: www.find-dvd.co.uk/r1/024543232834.htm, and clicking on the "visit shop" links on the right opens a new window (or tab, if right clicking and selecting a tab) which starts off as an affiliate/lead-tracked URL and then resolves into the retailer's proper URL for that item. Have no problems, so the site must be fine.

Have you tried accessing these inaccessible pages by right-clicking on the link, and then selecting Copy Link Location (Firefox) or Copy Shortcut (IE)... then opening a new browser window or tab and pasting in this copied URL in the address bar and seeing if the page loads?

krish72 said:
www.find-dvd.co.uk/r1/index.htm
- thats their R1 site

and say I do a search on Remington Steele Season 3, the results are on this page: www.find-dvd.co.uk/r1/024543232834.htm, and clicking on the "visit shop" links on the right opens a new window (or tab, if right clicking and selecting a tab) which starts off as an affiliate/lead-tracked URL and then resolves into the retailer's proper URL for that item. Have no problems, so the site must be fine.

Have you tried accessing these inaccessible pages by right-clicking on the link, and then selecting Copy Link Location (Firefox) or Copy Shortcut (IE)... then opening a new browser window or tab and pasting in this copied URL in the address bar and seeing if the page loads?

These suggestions work fine. So here is another example of what I mean:

Go to Download.com. Click on the left, 'Browsers' then Browsers again. At the top of the page above where it says Web Browsers are three links. If I click on either of those, nothing happens. However if I click on one of the links within Download.com such as Ace Explorer 2, then I am taken straight to the link.

Incidentally, I use IE6 but have tried Avant, Opera and Firefox. What is your opinion of Firefox, is it really so good and does it link with all secure sites?

Thanks once more!

Dave

Sounds like you have an advertising removing software. Because those 3 links above wb browsers are text adverts, and would be removed by any good advertising removing software.

okay, so those googlesyndication.com lead tracking links work fine and resolve to proper URL with both IE and Firefox

I prefer firefox, as I find it more stable (less prone to shutting down), faster, functional and ergonomic - if I can use that word to describe software. However I would prefer it if it also had a reassuring "click" sound as you get with IE (and Windows explorer in general).

Works well with all the secure sites - SSL connections / https

Is this problem with IE only?
I have IE7 RC1 installed (just released yesterday, no problems installing, still a clumsy browser compared to Firefox) - www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads - perhaps that may correct the IE issue???
BTW, I'm not an IT person, so my advice is only anecdotal ;)

Singh400 said:
...are text adverts, and would be removed by any good advertising removing software.
do they also remove adverts for good advertising removing software :D

Singh400 said:
Sounds like you have an advertising removing software. Because those 3 links above wb browsers are text adverts, and would be removed by any good advertising removing software.

Ah! Yes, I do, and that makes sense, thank you very much! I'll try disabling it to prove the point.

krish72 said:
okay, so those googlesyndication.com lead tracking links work fine and resolve to proper URL with both IE and Firefox

I prefer firefox, as I find it more stable (less prone to shutting down), faster, functional and ergonomic - if I can use that word to describe software. However I would prefer it if it also had a reassuring "click" sound as you get with IE (and Windows explorer in general).

Works well with all the secure sites - SSL connections / https

Is this problem with IE only?
I have IE7 RC1 installed (just released yesterday, no problems installing, still a clumsy browser compared to Firefox) - www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads - perhaps that may correct the IE issue???
BTW, I'm not an IT person, so my advice is only anecdotal ;)

Yes, only with IE. But what Singh has suggested makes sense so I will double check. I have tried IE7 beta 2 asnd I like it. Now though I will give Firefox and proper go. Thanks again krish72, if none of the above solves my problem I will let you know here. Fingers crossed.

Everything works fine with IE7.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom