• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Linking Telewest to upstairs TV

A

andrewturner

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a new TFT TV for my bedroom upstairs in the house, however i dont want to run any cables through the house, but do want to watch the Digital TV upstairs and DVD etc. I understand this can be done with a Digi Sender, but I understand there are compatability problems with telewest??

Does anyone have a recommendation, and also, how does the digi sender/receiver conenct to the TV upstairs?

thanks very much.

andrew

bsuttie

If you are running the box in standard definition mode then there is no problem, however if you switch the box to output HD then you lose both the RF out and the TV Scart out. However the VCR Scart still works albeit in a strange non-interlaced mode.

I use this to distribute TVDrive around the house which works with a rather flickery picture.

regards

Brian

EDIT : Sorry just realised you didn't mention TVDrive. Above limitations only apply to TVDrive in HD mode. TVDrive in SD mode or older boxes are fine. Digisenders are normally composite.

A

andrewturner

bsuttie said:
If you are running the box in standard definition mode then there is no problem, however if you switch the box to output HD then you lose both the RF out and the TV Scart out. However the VCR Scart still works albeit in a strange non-interlaced mode.

I use this to distribute TVDrive around the house which works with a rather flickery picture.

regards

Brian

EDIT : Sorry just realised you didn't mention TVDrive. Above limitations only apply to TVDrive in HD mode. TVDrive in SD mode or older boxes are fine. Digisenders are normally composite.

Sorry to be lame, but are you saying that the AEI DigiSender (TM) from argos.. http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0481007.htm

will work fine with telewest digital. I'm not running anything fancy, just plain old TV and DVD player? And I do not need a new aeriel?

thanks very much

buffalo2102

You need to tell us what make/model of set-top box you have. Is it a Pace or Scientific Atlanta? The model number should be on the bottom of the box and state Di1000, Di1010, Di2000, Di4000, Explorer 4000DVB or 4200DVB.

A

andrewturner

buffalo2102 said:
You need to tell us what make/model of set-top box you have. Is it a Pace or Scientific Atlanta? The model number should be on the bottom of the box and state Di1000, Di1010, Di2000, Di4000, Explorer 4000DVB or 4200DVB.

I believe looking at photos on line I have - Pace Di4000-T

thanks

buffalo2102

OK, I'm pretty sure that model uses IRDA commands, not standard IR. In that case, you would need the Digisender Gold. This will allow you to send RGB to the other set and also be able to change channels from the other room.

Alternatively, you could use any video sender without the ability to change channel remotely or you could add the ability with the Red-Eye remote code translator.

I haven't looked at this for a while so there may be other new senders that will work with the IRDA commands but I'm not sure. There are plenty of old threads on this subject both here and on DigitalSpy so a couple of minutes on Google should give you all the information you need.

All of these senders are usually attached to the set-top box, not the TV (at the send end). They have loop-throughs so that the TV can still remain connected. Then at the receive end they attach just like a set-top box would.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom