Linking Tannoy Speakers to Panasonic surround sound?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Dead Stig, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm not very savvy when it comes to surround sound as it's not an area I've invested a lot of money in to. I'm looking for a cleaner sound than my current setup so....

I've seen a set of Tannoy HTS speakers and sub for £100. (Tannoy HTS-101 Speaker Package) Would I be able to use my existing Panasonic Sa-BTT270 3D blu-Ray/amp ( Panasonic SC-BTT270 Review | Trusted Reviews )to plug them into and would I get a better quality of sound from them?

Thanks for any help.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Chances are the Panasonic speakers are very low impedance which will mean the higher impedance tannoy speakers will sound quieter. Also the weak point is the amps themselves so no real gain will be made from buying a cheap speaker set.

3. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    They Tannoy package is designed to be used with a standalone AV Receiver/Amp and probably won't work too well with the Panasonic Player/amp for several reasons...

1. The Tannoy sub is an active (built in amp) unit which requires a proper sub/line out connection as featured on all AV receivers. There's no way to connect the Panasonic to your Tannoy sub.

2. The Panasonic isn't really up to the job of driving the Tannoys.
    There's an old (but still relevant) thread on these forums discussing a similar setup:
    8 OHM Speakers connected to 3 OHM Amp

Although that's only a stereo system the same basics apply - you're not going to get the best from the Tannoys.

You should either stick with the Panasonic speakers for now, or consider getting an AV receiver and suitable speaker package, possibly selling the Panny setup to offset the price.

You could probably use the Panasonic unit as a BluRay player as it has an HDMI output, but basic BluRay players are cheap enough nowadays.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  4. Russ_64

Russ_64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I had the BTT500 which was okay for basic Bluray movies but when the player started to fail - it would not play BR disc's - I replaced the whole thing with AVR, 4K BR, and speakers as I wanted to move up to 4k anyway. What Roohster said is what I found out when I was in your position only I wanted to keep the speakers with new AVR.

5. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for both of your advice Russ and Rooster, very thourough! My Bluray player has also failed.

It looks like a need a whole new system then. I need wall hangable satalite speakers. I'm not looking for more volume than what I have, I only use it at 30/100 anyway. I don't need a Blyray player, just the surround sound. I'm just looking for better sound quality at lower volumes and all for under £200. Is this even a possibility?

6. Russ_64

Russ_64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Nope - you will only get a budget entry level AVR for about 150 and budget 5.1 speaker bundle incl subwoofer is another 150.

7. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, I have found this Pioneer system (Pioneer VSX-819H-K A/V Receiver) on Schpock locally for £215. It comes with Yamaha speakers and a powered sub. Would you guys say it's worth getting?

8. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    I've never bought anything from Shpock, but if it's local it's definitely worth going to take a look/listen before you buy.

The Pioneer is an older model so it only has 3 HDMI inputs, would that be enough for you?
    You haven't mentioned what you'll be connecting to it.

9. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just an Xbox One S and the TV really. I measured up though and found the amp is so big it's going to take all the space in my TV unit and the centre speaker would obstruct the the view of the botttom of my TV. The speakers are these (NS-PC210 - Overview - Yamaha - Canada - English)
    I'm trying to see if there's a way I can work around it.

10. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    Would wall mounting the TV be an option?

11. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Not really. I've just spent a lot of time decorating and I chased my rear speaker wires into the walls behind me. It's a brand new TV unit too so I can't change that. I'm giving up on that set up but I have found this

(Marketplace – KEF 5.1 surround sound speakers and Denon Amplifier)

These speakers seem to have good reviews and the size is much better, the amp is ridiculously big though but maybe I can find a place for it. Would you go for this at £200?

12. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Seems good for £200.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Would you say it's a big upgrade in clarity from a BTT270, I've really little experience when it comes to home cinema. I'm not looking to blow my roof off, just to hear everything that I'm supposed to be hearing.

Panasonic SC-BTT270 Review | Trusted Reviews

14. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    The Kefs are great little speakers, but...
    The Denon receiver with that package is ancient, no HDMI inputs and as far as I can see it won't even decode recent audio formats (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD etc.)

Might not be a problem for you but worth thinking about.

15. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah, your right. My main use is for my Xbox one, TV and Netflix really.

I don't know if I'm looking for the right kind of thing. All these amps are absolutely huge or well out of my budget. This amp is over tripple the size of my 3D blu Ray player.

16. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Would my Panasonic setup feed these KEF speakers until I can sort myself a reasonable amp out?

17. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    It would probably work but wouldn't be ideal for the reasons mentioned in my first post, the Panasonic is designed to drive speakers rated at 3 ohms, the KEFs are 8 ohms.

The speakers are a decent price, but bear in mind that you'd also have to buy a sub (doesn't look like there's one included in that set you linked to).

I'd wait until you're ready to buy the full package - receiver, sub, speakers.

Don't worry that you might miss out on that sale on Shpock, those particular speakers come up for sale on ebay a lot.

Have you looked through the classifieds on this forum for a receiver?

18. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ah ok.

That package does come with a sub though. And I might be able to knock them down in price as it says they would listen to offers. It's also a 5 minute drive away.

I haven't looked through the classifieds on here. Iall have to check them out too.

19. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    You should be able to connect your items to the AVR via optical cable so although you will not get the latest HD audio it will still be surround sound and still sound better than your current system. HD audio is a subtle improvement over SD surround sound especially on budget speakers.
    AVRs are bigger than all in one systems but the reason for this is the better quality components and more connectivity.
    A fully functioning 5.1 system with reasonable speakers is good for £200. Will be easy to upgrade the AVR in the future to a newer one and keep the speakers.

20. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    She'll take £150 for the lot. that has to be worth going for doesn't it?

21. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    I would say well worth that.

22. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm really struggling to find space for one of these proper recievers. Another option is a Pioneer BCS 424 all in one for £145 (local pre owned). It would fit in my room much better because the reciever is a similar size to what I have now. The downside is that I can't hang the rear speakers, unless I could find a DIY method of removing the stands and pinning them to the wall somehow. There's also very little info online about this system too, just this one review

(Pioneer BCS-424 review)

It supports more of the newer audio formats that you guys mentioned though. I'm torn to be honest. What would you guys suggest?

Marketplace – Pioneer BCS 424 Home Cinema System, 1100watt, 5.1 surround, blu-ray and 3d player

23. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    That Pioneer sounds like the best option for you if space is tight.

Couldn't you just place the back speakers at the back of the room on their built in stands?

24. Dead Stig

Dead Stig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I could but, the rear speakers are 1m high. I've just chased speaker cables up my wall to the height of 1.2 meters, I suppose I could stand he speakers on something to hide the cables. Also I only have a small amount of space behind me. the speaker stands are gonna kick the speakers a bit closer to the back of my sofa than I'd have liked.

I could live with it I suppose, the main question is, is this Pioneer going to sound better than my panasonic?

25. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Its another all in one system to unlikely to sound that much better to be honest.
    You can buy slim line AVRs from makes like Marantz (1406/1606 models) so getting one of these would be a better option than an all in one system.

26. Roohster

Roohster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,650
    Depending on the layout of your room, you could put the rears to the side of your seating position.
    "Rear" is a misleading name really, they're generally referred to as side surrounds thee days.

As PSM1 said, you wouldn't really see much improvement, "all in one" systems are always a bit of a compromise because they're trying to cram everything into small units.