1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linking DAV550 to TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ashy, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just after some advice on leads please.

Currently linking my DAV550 to a KVFQ75 using a QED Squart s-video to scart.

Been told that this is using composite and there is a way of using component, and that this would massively improve the picture (which looks ok to me anyway, hehe)

He mentioned something about RGB and some other stuff, went over my head a bit really, but if he is right what should I be looking for? :)

Cheers
    Ash

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    There is a thread here which might interest you that explains not only the technical differences between the various signal types, but also the differences in picture quality that you can expect when connecthing up.

Your machine can output a signal in 3 ways - composite (the yellow, phono output), S-Video (the one you are presently using), and component. Whilst component is generally regarded as the "best" ouptput for sheer picture quality, it's not something which is supported on a particularly wide scale by TV manufacturers. Most PJ's have component inputs, some TV's are appearing with them, but by and large it's not historically been widely used in the home environment (although this is slowly changing! :smashin: )

Your TV can accept signals which are RGB (via Scart - the "best" signal your TV will take), S-Video (via Scart as you have discovered, or via the S-Video input on the front of the set), or Composite (via Scart, or the front input).

As you can see, component isn't available to you, and whilst RGB is, it's not supported by the DAV (Component & RGB are two totally different things). Your best bet is S-Video, the method you currently use (You aren't connecting by composite as has been suggested to you!) :)

A bit long winded, and a round about way of getting there but I hope that's explained a few things :) Shout if you have any more questions...

K.

3. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kelvin,

I was under the impression that svideo used colour and brightness signals similar to component cables, if so how does just a lead convert this to RGB scart. I was thinking it must use the component signal that alot of UK svideo leads use.

Dr John Simm sells a expencive svideo - RGB scart converter, why is this neccessary when you can just re-wire the connections into a scart plug without any signal change ?

I am not after argument, I am in a similar position due to the 1 component input into my plasma being used up.

4. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    anyone else want to throw their shiny 2p into this?

am I doing a disservice to my eyes or is what ive got as good as it gets for my system?

:rolleyes:

5. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think you've misunderstood what I've said :blush: You can't convert S-Video to RGB Scart, but you can send an S-Video signal via a scart connector with a simple, inexpensive lead (take the QED one for example). This is what Ashy has done above.

The convertor that Dr John Simm sells, and the one that I think you're referring to, is an RGB to S-Video convertor (NB - not S-Video to RGB), and is designed to take RGB signals (say from a Sky box), and convert them into an S-Video signal that can be inputted directly into a plasma, or into an amp ready for video switching. RGB to Component, and RGB to VGA are also available as alternatives :)

See here for more information on the types of convertor available.

From Ashy's point of view, he cannot use the component outputs with his FQ75, and so the next best thing that the DAV supports is S-Video. An S-Video to Scart lead prevents him from having the S-Video connector sticking out the front of his set :)

Yes - you've done it exactly right :) :smashin:

K.

6. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah, cheers bud. thought it looked pretty good as it was mate. so is the QED squart lead the best option ive currently got?

7. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering what exactly the svideo signal that is sent via the scart connector is.

It can only be one of three things?

a composite signal

a RGB signal

or a component type signal (YUV)

Is there something i am missing ?

8. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    anyone else joining the debate?

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    S-video is between composite and RGB in quality. S-video is better than composite as it sends the colour (chroma) signal seperately from the picture and sync information. Thereby eliminating the signal loss caused by splitting the colour signal from the luminance/picture signal in the television.

Basically composite carries all picture information on 1 electrical connection, s-video on 2, component on 3 and rgb on 4 (occasionally 3 with sync on green). RGB should be the best connection as it has the best bandwidth too but many prefer component over RGB as it seems to suffer less from mismatching of equipment and is also only available on higher price equipment which makes it look like a hiqher quality option.

10. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks for the reply :)

However 1 more question :)

How does the chroma information get thru the scart plug?

When i look at wiring diagrams i cant see any of the appropriate pins
    http://www.leadsdirect.f9.co.uk/scart.htm
    http://www.leadsdirect.f9.co.uk/s-video.htm

This is what led me to the conclusion that my ixos svideo - scart lead is using a compsite connection.

Also when i use the lead on my plasma i just get a green screen no matter what source. Pure svideo is fine.

11. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    but I thought the 550 sent RGB via the component (sony say it outputs rgb) and therefore you only need a component to scart lead and connect via the rgb scart on my KV32FX66

12. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Well component is RGB as the three colours are seperate from each other. However component is sync+luminance+green, blue and red and normal scart rgb is sync, red+luminance, green+luminance and blue+luminance. So you can see the connections are different even though they both carry RGB. You would need to convert component to make it compatible with a normal rgb scart television. So Sony are correct but its not the RGB signal you need to connect to a standard scart rgb television. Sadly the 550 gives out a slightly grainy s-video signal too so unless you have a display unit that can take component signals (which is excellent from the 550 especially using progressive ntsc) most people will only have a mediocre picture from the 550. That said on a 28" widescreen I don't suppose it will matter that much.

13. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so am i right in what i initially said for my setup? that I am using the best lead I can for the TV/DVD I have?

14. ben_e71

ben_e71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    great info - so on my 32" widesreen it may look pants. BUt any worse pants than my year old panny dvd using s-video. If I want to spend £300 whats my nest bet? what about the Dvsa30? AT least that has a RGB scart

15. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    What features are you after? Assuming you want a scart RGB output, what else do you need? What media do you want to use, what formats does it need to support? What about sound output, is it a big room? Do you plan to use it as your main hifi? If so stereo sound output is important. You'll want good quality left and right front speakers. Does it need to be multiregion? If you have a tv with only one scart socket with rgb and you have a sky digibox then scart rgb output may be less important as you'll probably use the second s-video only scart socket anyway.

I know Panasonic do some very nice systems with excellent stereo performance but lack scart rgb output.

JVC do a TH-75R which is 6.1 but its nearer £400.

You need to work out exactly what features you want and that should in it itself limit your choice to only a few candidates.

You may find the 550 is still your best option using a s-video lead.

16. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to digress - i am thinking of getting the s550 as it is going new for £269. But i have heard previously of problems with this sysmem mainly of picture freezing etc. Have you guys come across this problem or others or has sony sorted them ?

jay

17. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

18. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    An s-video lead is your best option from a 550 if you can't use component and don't want to pay out for a component to scart rgb converter which cost in the region of £80 I think.

19. Ashy

Ashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thats what im asking though, so there is an alternative and its better?

if so, can you point me in the direction of where i can get this stuff :)

20. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Before you go down the route of considering a converter you want to make sure you have a television capable of giving an excellent RGB scart picture. Some televisions down convert RGB to s-video internally and then feed that into the main tuner electronics before then converting it back to RGB to be sent to the tube. Quite a few Toshiba's are like this and many other models are known to give a poor rgb picture.

Something like this is what your after;

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?RGB2C