Linking 2 spereate amps and cd players to 1 set of speakers

lesg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I have just hooked up a Marantz cd player & valve power amp to my Kef floorstanders. I'm pleased with the resulting sound quality, but would also like to hook up a Sony 5 disc cd player via a Marantz amp to the same speakers to use for background music. I wouldn't have both systems powered up at the same time.

The speakers were not bi-wired so the 2 pairs of speaker posts are connected with the supplied metal strips.

My question is, can I connect one setup via the bottom pair of posts and the other setup via the top set of posts to use at different times? I realize that I can only run one setup at a time ie. I'll have to make sure that one is switched off, but do you think this is feasible and will effect sound quality?

Thanks,
Les G :confused:

I think you can use a Beresford TC7220 to hook your amps/speakers up. Do a google search for it.

Last edited:
You can not do as you suggest as you will damage one or both amps. Even with the other amp turned off power will go the wrong way along the cable and into the amp causing damage. You will need a source selection switch as mentioned above or just connect one amp at a time to the speakers.

Thank you for your advice. I'll look in to the Beresford.

Les G

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom