Linkin Park

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Must admit, Linkin Park are a guilty pleasure for me, they started with 2 strong albums at a time when rock was feeling old. They then probably strayed too far from their formula, but I really liked a thousand suns and have time for most of their output regardless of the styles they've tinkered with over the years.

I'm currently listening to recharge and while its pretty much the remix album they said they wouldn't do again, I quite like it. They've been going years 16+ years, which is pretty good stuff for a rock band and I think fair play to them for doing their thing, but I also know they get knocked for it too. Anyone still liking Linkin Park? Never liked them? Or think enough already with the mucking about?

overkill

Distinguished Member
I liked the first two albums, their U2 meets metallica meets Jayz style worked well on those two. The critics never liked them which is always a plus, as those hypocrites have panned the likes of Zep, Sabbath, Bowie pre Spiders etc in the past so that was good sign. I say hypocrites as the same journalists now say what 'icons' all of those artists are...

When they dumped the metallica element of their music and started sounded like U2 at their most bombastic crossed with Rap at it's most egotistical (and that takes some doing) then the writing was on the wall. I actually heard one song and thought it was U2 at one point! Not good.

They became so embarrassing after a while no-one would admit to liking them. When they played Download last they were told by the promoter 'only if you play none of your **** new stuff'.

Sad really as the first album in particular is a real gem.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
They became so embarrassing after a while no-one would admit to liking them. When they played Download last they were told by the promoter 'only if you play none of your **** new stuff'.
Yeah, this is what I'm picking up on really, they weren't taken seriously when dropping the heavier sound and it felt like you couldn't mention you were listening to a new LP album without being laughed at. But I've always found they write a decent tune regardless of the music style under pinning it, the rap element doesn't always work for me, but Chester has always managed to hit a good note, well, on record anyway, I've not seen them live.

overkill

Distinguished Member
I must admit, down the years (christ, decades now!) all the bands that ditched a key element to their sound lost their way, and eventually lost credibility. You may not know them, but BJH dumped their trademark folk/soft rock style for a more commercial sound in the 80's complaining that not enough UK fans bought their records, they promptly lost their core audience within three albums! Wishbone Ash in the 90's, Alice Cooper in the 80's, Elton John in the late 70's - early 80's, Kiss in the late 70's early 80's, Rush in the mid 80's to mid 90's, all tried a more commercial, less rocky, less traditional approach and all ended up seeing sales crash and their audience become confused as to where they were going. The Ash in fact went full blown dance! :eek:

But, the majority of them found their muse again, and most are still going, in some cases strong, and if not 'strong' at least 'mobile' - considering their age! :D As such I'm not writing Linkin Park off just yet...

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
Their live in Texas album is really quite good, but i have not really enjoyed their output since the collaborative JayZ album. Although Numb/Encore was the highlight of it.

I think Numb is one of my alltime favourites and With You being a particular highlight of the first album.

luckysim0n

their first album like you said shook up the scene a band that sadly never lived up to its full potential must dig it out now

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
I'm a fan. I've liked almost all their albums - I think they were more a product of Mike Shinoda than Chester. I think they were initially classified as "nu-metal", kind of a sucky genre label lol

I've seen them live at Brixton, quite good live.

owen021173

Love LP :) have done for years!!!
Downloaded the re-charge album the other day and I'm not that keen although I never really liked re-animation either .
I've seen them live a few times , Sheffield arena,MEN arena x2 and Milton Keynes and funnily enough mk was the worst gig due to a lack of atmosphere past the pit :( good line up though. Search on YouTube for live snippets , to me they are just as good a band live and have quite a few live albums as they tend to offer a digital download of the concert you buy tickets for.
Chester Bennington has an amazing voice in my opinion and can be jaw dropping at times. Search for Rolling in the deep iTunes festival or pushing me away Milton Keynes bowl .
My least listen to album is probably Minutes to midnight. Not a bad album as such but just doesn't seem to go anywhere for me for some reason.
I like the fact the have evolved and when you see interviews with mike shinoda he always states he doesn't want to follow hybrid theory with another of the same album and I think he's spot on,always trying to improve on the previous and pushing the envelope of what people think.

I won't be going to download but hope the do a few shows around the uk, normally do 2-3 year cycles

Just to add in case anyone doesn't know. A couple of other projects that LP have been involved with are Fort Minor. Mike shinoda's rising tied is a great album as long as you like rap music,some good beats on there.
And Dead by Sunrise fronted by Chester and some other dude from another band, the name escapes me for now. Album is Out of ashes and I really like it, got a pleasant mix to it

Last edited:

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I probably won't go to download, but if they post a few other UK gigs next year, I may try and catch them.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Long time Linkin Park fan

Had the great pleasure of seeing LP at Projekt Revolution when they were joined by J-Z on stage and that memory will never leave me, along with the hairs on the back of my neck standing up when he joined LP when everyone thought they we closing.

Many many thanks for your contribution Chester Bennington and thank you for the great memories.

Adds LP to playlist for the next few days.

Last edited:

BAN5HEE

Absolutely gutted. Great voice and also been a fan of LP since their first album came out. RIP Chester.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Terrible news. Gutted to hear it and am stunned. The first ever band I liked and followed. Only saw them live for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Forgot I started this thread, well, I finally got to see them live.. 2 weeks ago and they were superb. Shinoda and Chester were on top form, Mike's rapping has matured and sounded great and as a (wannabe) singer myself, I was most jealous of Chester's voice, he is a truly talented vocalist with a unique live presence. Waiting for the End is my favourite song and was a highlight of the night for me, but feels all to close to the bone now. RIP Chester..

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom