1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linkin Park - Meteora

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Shoka, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Well what can I say?

My mate left the album round my houe the other day, so I thought id stick it into the CD player and have a listen. Oh my god what a fantastic album.

I would normally not listen to this type of music, but ive listened to the album twic now and really enjoyed it.

Are linkin Parks other albums similar or is this drastically different?

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I think Hybrid Theory is superior to Meteora. Must admit it is growing on me and I have played HT to death. Give it a go it's not different in terms of style or sound- also worth checking out Reanimation which is a remix of HT.

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thanks I'll check em out, I normally only listen to Hip Hop so I thought it would be a real shock to the system, but its a good album.

Anyone recomend any bands that have a similar style?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shame on you Shoka :nono:

Regards,

Linkin Park Hater of London

:D

P.S. CD-WOW sent someone else this album last week, but their copy arrived on my doorstep because my postman always assumes that all orders from CD-WOW are for me. I opened up the package carefully to see what was inside but on seeing it was Linkin Park's new album, I resealed the package and gave it back to the postman the next day :D

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    LOL, come on then Squirrel recomend something I might like.

Bear in mind I'm a die hard Hip hop fan, so dont go recomending thrash metal or anything. and no coldplay:nono:

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I think LInkin Park are an aquired taste you either love them or hate them. Since you liked Meteora you'll definately get on with HT.
    I personally like them but I have a varied taste not to everyones pallet.( I'm even a Hakwind fan !)
    You might enjoy Placebo and the like. It's fairly aggressive but the new album "Dancing with ghosts" has some catchy tunes. I personally would start with "without you I'm Nothing" since this is my favorite out of all their back catalogue.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I know mate. I used to love all that Hip Hop stuff when I were a young lad, demonstrated by my complete collection of "Electro" tapes :)

If you wanna venture into that rock music genre that has hip hop influences, you're far better off checking out bands like Rage Against The Machine and Limp Bizkit. Linkin Park are nothing but poor imitators.

BTW, thrash metal is pants. Hate it. BUT having said that, Staind's first album had some thrash tracks and they're well good :D

Placebo? Aggressive? Oh come on mate! :D Great band, but they dish out very mellow stuff. I don't think Shoka will like them anyway - no noticeable hip hop influences.

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I had a Rage against the machine album when I was younger for the simplefact that it had a shed load of swearing in it and it got on my mums nerves.

Havent RATM formed a new band with soundgarden? Are they any good?

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SG while I totally agree that RATM are superior to LP as they are one of the founders of rock music with rapping in it you are having a laugh with Limp Bizkit, all these guys know how to do is swear as many times as possible in most of their songs (great if you are a teenager I guess). They have had one or two good tracks but Linkin Park’s albums have been far superior to anything Limp Bizkit have produced so far.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wanna get into nu-metal, go back the the roots- Korn, Coal Chamber, Incubus's S.C.I.E.N.C.E album (which has definate hip-hop influences on some of the tracks i.e. the DJ instrumentals). Don't start on a derivative band like LP. It's well produced but there is much better stuff ou thtere Shoka. I would think for you, Korn's debut album and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. would be two to get.

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they swear but how does that affect whether the music is good or not?

You have to remember that Linkin Park imitate, they don't innovate. Lots of bands jumped on Limp Bizkit's band wagon (ooh, that's appropriately named and unintentional :D ) and Linkin Park are one of them.

Did you know that LP were not even originally called LP? Their name was changed so that their albums would sit right next to Limp Bizkit's on the music store shelves :thumbsdow

Is the Fagot track on that album? There is one point in the song that always makes me laugh. You know which bit I mean :laugh:

13. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But dude, LB were copying Korn- they just had a more commercial, accessible sound, which made them more famous. LP are similarly marketed, better production etc..

Yeah, it's got that on, and I laugh too. :laugh:
    I don't listen to it that often, as I think there are better bands ou tthere but they certainly went a long way to setting the whole thing off.

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see that at all hombre. Korn are thrash (what I would call thrash anyway, i.e. screaming, few distortion guitars). LB are more in the RATM style IMO. If LB copied anyone, they copied RATM. However, they didn't just copy them straight off. RATM kicked off a genre, and LB slotted into that and then came out with their own spin on it.

The problem I have with LP, apart from the fact that I don't like them, is that I fail to see them adding anything new. In my mind, they're just a straight copy of LB, minus the swearing.

15. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See where you comin from with that one...
    The thing is, Korn were one of the first metal bands to talk about emotions and feelings instead of the "I'm in a metal band, sit in my face" attitude of the likes of the Crue and Skid Row, so they were termed into nu-metal. Rap-metal (which is what I'd call LB and LP) was a sort of spin off of nu-metal, though I'd never say RATM were influenced by Korn; their message was a political one not an emotional one. Now I dunno what to think:( :confused: :D

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see what you mean now. You're using lyrical content as a primary differentiator, whereas I'm hung up on the total 'sound'. Interesting... :)

17. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could try limp bizkits "new old songs". basically its a collection of their songs remixed in a hip hop style. definitely worth checking out.

i agree with s.g. 100% on his comments about linkin park, ratm, and limp bizkit.
    if you really want to check out the beginings of rap/metal/hip hop crossover, try to find some material by a band called the urban dance squad. they seemed to embrace the genre first.
    or check out a couple of the early faith no more albums.:smashin:

18. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, being as most of the new stuff I'm getting is emo, I'm a lyrical world right now- Rival Schools sound nothing like Saves The Day, but both are classed as emo, so I think I can't judge this one. But I will say that Zach and the boys in RATM would be a little offended to be compared to LB:D Do you think RATM are similar to Audioslave? I only ask because I would class them as competely different bands, despite the only thing changing being Chris Cornell for Zach.

19. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think so too :D But I was careful to say LB sound like RATM, rather than the other way round... or at least I hope that's what I said. Will have to scroll back and check :D

I agree with you there :smashin:

20. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See, because I think the major thing that has changed is not only the singing style, but the content. De la Rocha was semi rapping, about politics, whereas Cornell is proclaiming to be road surfaces and all lovey dovey stuff. The actually guitars and drums are very similar (and I always thought they could have be Zep with a decent singer, and now they are:D ) You could still spot Morello riff, even though technically it's not RATM anymore- he hasn't changed the way he writes his riffs. The best example is Cochise, which RATM could have done quite easily with different lyrics.

21. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another album that might be of interest is "one" by an artist called me phi me. it`s a mixture of rap/hip hop/dance and folk with some lovely harmonies.
    it`s about ten years old now,so don`t know how available it is anymore, but it still gets a spin on my system to this day.

22. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faith No More’s The Real Thing album is an absolute classic, especially Epic which is damn fine track and was one of the early nu-metal type songs. I went to a rock night down in Brighton on Saturday and they played this track near the end and I forgot how good FNM used to be and kick most of the nu-metal band’s ar*es even though I do particularly like LP. Also check out the Deftones who have been around for a while now and were one of the first nu-metal bands but have been overlooked by most people.

23. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there music is generally OK but when they go into swearing mode it just makes me wonder if they are a bit lyrically challanged and are not able to come up with anything insightful. I know that LP have copied LB a lot but they do seem to do so much better. Anyway I am sure we could go on like this for ages saying one is better than the other so we will have to agree to disagree ;)

24. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    couldn`t agree with you more. probably their definitive album. one of those rare albums where you can say that there isn`t a weak song on it.
    angeldust, the follow up(i think) was a bit of a mixed bag, but still has some great tracks on it.

25. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i always thought that lb had a real edge to their music that made them stand out. i have three of their albums and don`t find that there is excessive swearing on them.
    linkin park always seem like they are an afterthought, thrown together to cash in on the whole nu metal thing, and aimed at 12 year olds as much as anyone else.

26. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't like Mr Bungle much though - Mike Patton's solo outfit, but FNM were top of the pile in their day.

Bought the Audioslave album last month and have to say I'm in the other camp to SG, didn't feel it was either as good as RATM or Soundgarden, all a bit 'samey'.

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course ;)

BTW, Faith No More did my favourite cover version ever :)

Oi, I never said that! Don't put words in my mouth! ;)

I agreed with Gambit that it was different to RATM and said that the reception to it was a bit mixed. I personally think it's a fab album. But now you've said that - I agree with you that it's not as good as RATM. But not much is :D

28. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Right just off to *cough* Download *cough* some of the tracks from Korn, and incubus. Any recomendations for a couple of tester tracks to see if its worth buying the albums?

29. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How about The Foo Fighters?

I'm not really a big fan but they have got some great songs. The music is great and the lyrics are pretty clever at times.

I saw them at Leeds 2002 (headlining Sunday evening on the Main Stage) and they were absolutely brilliant.

One to recommend for an alternative rock sound :smashin:

I saw Incubus at Leeds 2002 as well. Another very good band but not exactly one of my favourites.

Others I'd recommend:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - the definitive rock band IMHO
    Muse - 3 brilliant albums and are just incredible - maybe the best live band in the world as well (IMO anyway)
    Disturbed - bit of a Limp Bizkit feel but so much better than the rest of the genre IMO

30. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Gambit - Incubus:smashin: Just listened to a tune called redefine. Going toi get the album tomorrow.

Had a listen to Korn, a bit to hard (is that the right word?)