Link (Richard Franklin/Terence Stamp/Elisabeth Shue, France 2021)

IGC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
linkuhd.png

Well well, this could be interesting if they've been digging in StudioCanal's skips and found both versions of the film and a good stereo track.

UK Blu-ray has a nice picture makes me wonder what materials they have for a UHD:

link01.jpg

link02.jpg

Ordered this today €37.00 shipped / £31.87 PayPal on my fee free card (PayPal wanted £33.23 if I used their rates).

Withnail: Free to those who can afford it, very expensive to those who can't.

Sho' nuff.

Link has a 1000 print run and I have an affection for the film so I reckon it's not too expensive as I'm also supporting the distributor who'll hopefully dig through more skips of films I like.

Prices will definitely only go one way (SS's The Guest UHD @ £50 is madness IMO) and the only good news I can think of is with all the streaming happening there's going to be more HD content which will make its way to special edition expensive pressed discs.

I hope.

Listed as sold out now.

They need to get in touch with the printer that's a terrible mess:

3D-OUVERTE---LINK.jpg

Got mine:
link01.JPG

link02.JPG

Had a look through it's a nice transfer although the HDR just sucks out colour that really should be there (it's there on all the Blu-rays). HDR is snake oil for tech junkies.

link_double_02a.jpg

Interesting article on the film by someone who worked on it:

HDR is referenced here

HDR sucked the colour out of Mad Max also quite badly really I had no option but to mess with my TV's settings to get it how I remembered it.

I'm no fan of HDR with 'old' films in the sense I know how the colour should be having watched them multiple times of course I'm sure it's dependent on several factors but Link and MM are recent examples for me. We have very good colour reference points (ie all the Blu-rays).

Saying all that those transfers I mention look fantastic.

It's a shame Link had such a short print run. The delivery packaging was brilliant took 10 days to arrive all UK customs paperwork stuck to the front. The disc packaging was a bit cheap 'n' nasty certainly felt a bit gnarly.

I do wonder whatever happened to the version of the film with the Cannon Screen Entertainment intro (it was exactly the same as the TESE intro) as seen on VHS (I have it) and I'm guessing at the cinema in Italy and a few places who had a later release than France (Cannon bought the film just after it had been released to several festivals early and it won the Special Jury Award at the Avoriaz Fantastic Film Festival 1986).

Mr Stamp's legal team, Giuliani, Parnas & Fruman LLC., has asked to point out that the photograph above was taken pre-makeup and that Mr Stamp had had a rough night before.

I stand corrected, never heard of them using it before and there's no hdr badge on your photo of the back of the case (actually makes me want the disc more now).
I still disagree with the snake oil comment though, hdr done correctly makes a huge difference.

Omg, until I came on this thread I’d completely forgotten about this film’s existence.
I’ve never seen it mind, I just remember seeing the video and regularly inspecting when I was little.
I suppose the equivalent now is just scrolling through title after title on the Netflix Home Screen and then after 45 mins, you just end up putting the playing station on.

And I’ve just discovered this features a nude scene with Shue ! 12 year old me is absolutely furious.
Ahem, did someone say this is sold out ? 😳

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom