1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Lines' in AVI file

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by pmb, Jun 4, 2003.

1. pmb

pmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh oh, me again... Just a quicky this time.

Have captured VHS footage to uncompressed AVI using VirtualDub no probs (via SVHS connection).

Can capture SVHS source using the same settings but quality is just about the same as VHS (- as you'd expect): in the interests of better quality I increased the capture resolution but my resulting AVIs are 'line-y'.

This is not particularly noticeable when the shot is steady but when there is movement there are definite bands across the image.

Can anyone explain what might be the reason for this? And how to fix it...? (I have tried the 'de-interlace' filter in VirtualDub which does improve things but some 'line-y-ness' (!) still shows (plus it adds significantly to file sizes and processing time).

Is this just a function of displaying on a PC?
    Given that I'm going to be burning to SVCD (Roxio Easy DVD) do I even need to bother about this - or will I find when I burn that these lovely lines are still present?

Thx for any input!

pmb
    ('we're all going to jail')

2. pmb

pmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent coverage of this question, I think:

http://www.100fps.com/

but if anyone has any tips from personal experience re: this I'd be grateful...

Cheers,
    pmb