1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lines above screen (seleco 420)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tondene, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Tondene

Tondene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone this is first time on this forum, can anyone please give me a pointer as how to remove lines that appear some distance above the main viewing area of the screen.The picture is very good and I have spent lots and lots of hours trying to remove them,
    (Some history)The proj is a Seleco 420 hb teatra model, the screen is 4/3 type but I use it in widescreen 2m wide. I have used the dvd essentials disc for set up screens and test patterns and have the convergence patterns all lined up and focused. The only way I have found to remove the lines is to increase the linear settings to near max however this makes the picture size far greater than my 2m wide screen
    Regards to all
    Tony

2. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tondene,

from a while back on this forum:

Seleco's have a white line at the top of the image, it's a bit distracting. There's a modification for this, costs about 100 squids.

Chris Frost, one of the most knowledgeable members on this forum regarding Seleco CRT's (he installs and calibrates them), told me when I enquired about this:-

The "white line fix" (called the AKB Line modification) requires one of the plug-in boards to be returned to Owl. I could arrange this for you but it would be cheaper and quicker for you to make the call to them yourself. At the same time you could get the EEPROM upgrade done. Owls number is 01825 766123, ask for Kim (a bloke) in the service dept. He'll be able to sort this out for you.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

drago.d

3. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris also gave me this advice:

Adding an external line doubler (iScan for e.g.) will give a noticeable improvement in definition over the internal Seleco line doubler in both 400 & 500 models.

Also, with regard to high brightness scenes:

Ask whoever is doing your convergence to check the level setting on the Peak Limiter. The dimming is due to the peak limiter being set too low because the Seleco factory were being very conservative during manufacture. This caps the maximum light output.
    It can be altered but is not really a DIY job. Adjusting the peak limiter takes about 10 minutes. A good installer will know how to get in to the service menu and where they can safely set the level.

more food for thought?? :smashin:

drago.d

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    drago.d - well quoted Sir, I'm impressed :thumbsup:

Just an additional note, the AKB mod was to solve the issue of the white lines dropping down when you switch to Wide mode. With the fix in place the lines stay parked where they sit when using Normal mode. They can't be removed totally, they're there to help monitor and maintain white balance so they serve a very important function.

Some other Seleco owners have used velvet above the screen to absorb the light from the AKB lines. This works well.

Regards

5. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Tony

I have a Seleco 320 Plus which does the same thing.

A strip of black-out material positioned above your screen should do the trick (about £3 or £4 a metre from Dunelm). I made a mask for my screen the other day, and it works a treat - totally absorbs all of the light.

If your PJ is table mounted you might also want to try the fix that I use, which again involves a small piece of black-out material (that's the same width as your PJ). This is simply positioned above / in front of the PJ's three lenses, and so 'blocks' the AKB lines from being projected above your screen. Of course, this kinda depends on you having a table that's similar to mine - i.e. your table must have a top under which your PJ sits.

Hope that makes sense!

Nebby

6. Tondene

Tondene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your help, it is good to know that it is not a fault starting up.
    The black-out idea sounds a nice easy way to sort it out and the line appears just on the case of the screen (about 30cm above the picture) this is to be covered with a pelmet to match the deep wine coloured curtains so maybe this will absorb most of the line. I am also in the middle of building a coffee table over the proj. so I will try that as well Thanks Nebby.

Draggo.d

What is the eeprom upgrade?
    what does it do and do you think it is worth doing?
    Thanks again
    Tony

7. Anders B

Anders B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a Seleco 320 plus and the AKB-line (3 lines: red,green, blue) I could take away by using the component connection instead of the RGB-scart. With component or rgbhv I also got white lines but these I could take away with the blanking.

8. Tondene

Tondene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Anders B.
    I am using RGB H&Vsinc through a scaler Iscan ultra makes the picture look fantastic but does not help with the white line, also I have tried usung the blanking but this only alters the borders of the picture, this line is about 30cm above the picture itself
    I have tried Nebbys idea and this seems to help loads
    Thanks for your comments
    Tony :thumbsup:

9. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tondene,

as I understand it, Selecos require a very long IR command from the remote in order to switch off.

This means the "OFF" command, when copied into any of the typical programmable remotes such as a Pronto, would not be re-emitted sufficiently long enough to work (reliably?) and make it difficult to incorporate the projector into a system macro.

The EEPROM upgrade was introduced so that the "OFF" command is altered so that the length of command that a Pronto-type remote emits will be sufficient to be recognised by the Seleco.

(I think that's it....Chris??) :)

drago.d

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    drago.d, I think I should retire ;) :laugh:

You're very close. The Seleco codes toggle between two states. Memorising with a Pronto or similar will catch one version but not the other, and this is why these learning remotes don't work consistently with Seleco projectors.

One other thing about the EEPROM change. That bit of silicon stores the convergence settings as well. If you change the chip then you should also be prepared to reconverge.

Regards

11. drago.d

drago.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :thumbsup:

drago.d