Linear Power Supply possible issue?

G a f f e r

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This is an electronics question for preople with more nouse than me :).
I bought an LPS to replace the switch mode wall wart to power my sub's DSP.

Breeze PSU Inside 1.JPG

Actually provides a 12V DC supply to the DSPeaker, which takes 9V-12V fine.
So my issue is, when I first bought this, it displayed it was giving 12.1v:

Breeze PSU 1.JPG

...but recently it started showing 12.2V.....then 12.3V......now it's at 12.4V when switched on (or 12.3 but quickly goes to 12.4V). This is all over the period of about 2.5yr from when I first got it.
Seeing as the DSPeaker takes 12V max, I'm a bit worried that the supply voltage appears to be rising with time and don't want to damage the DSP. Is this a degrading component inside the supply? Should I bin it or is it easily fixable? Should I be worried?

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks.

If you have a DVM or multimeter you could check whether that reading is correct or not. It could be that the voltage reference for the 12 volt measurement has drifted rather than the actual output voltage of the LPS.

If you have a DVM or multimeter you could check whether that reading is correct or not. It could be that the voltage reference for the 12 volt measurement has drifted rather than the actual output voltage of the LPS.

Just checked with a multimeter and it is indeed 12.39V DC

Give the little blue pot a tweak to reduce it. Probably just a slight resistance change has altered the voltage setting a little.

It's only a basic regulator, so nothing much to go wrong in there.

Give the little blue pot a tweak to reduce it. Probably just a slight resistance change has altered the voltage setting a little.

It's only a basic regulator, so nothing much to go wrong in there.

Thanks - worked perfectly :).

IMG_1408.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom