Linear PCM, 5.1, AV Amplifier workaround not working

MrStroodle

Novice Member
Hey all, so my PS5 setup had been working perfectly for weeks, then all of a sudden, this morning, for absolutely no reason that I can find, the settings I've always used stopped working. I'm getting ZERO audio coming through now. I have the PS5 running to the TV with HDMI 2.1, and eARC connecting my LG C1 to my Vizio M51a-H6. It has been on HDMI Device Type TV and I've had no issues. It has put out gorgeous 5.1 surround that's had no lip-sync issues at all. Now, I get no sound. Changing to AV Receiver and swapping to 2.0 gets PCM back, but as stereo obviously, then the workaround that I've seen for people is to swap back to 5.1 or 7.1 to get the surround back. Well, swapping back to 5.1 does exactly nothing. No sound no matter how many times I swap back and forth, and swapping to 7.1 STILL gives me stereo sound! I'm at my wits end here. My wife is going to kill me if I tell her we have to swap out equipment again (the backlight on our LED tv went out a month ago and ever since there's been a lot of money spent). Can anyone help?

EDIT: Since I'm definitely not an idiot, I changed back the one thing I messed with yesterday. I plugged my Xfinity Flex box into my HDMI4 port last night. First of all, the issues with that were annoying as heck and it wouldn't output anything higher than 1080p HD. Second of all, unplugging that immediately brought lossless sound back to the ps5. It makes no sense to me at all, but that fixed it.

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
I had a similar issue yesterday, been working with eArc audio to AVR since I bought it, but yesterday, toggling tv to internal speaker and hdmi eArc...nothing, silence. Tv off on, avr off on...nothing.
Worked later that day (PS5 had been resting so wasn't rebooted...), weird...

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom