Question line out on actual sub for active speakers?

kopmjj

hi hoping for some clarity im buying edifier r2750 Amazon product
which has a subwoofer out so for me using a single rca to 2 rca cable i thought would be correct, single rca from active speaker to the left and right input to my sub. but i was reading some reviews and one mentioned that this way you will get low bass output from the sub but i will get better bass by connecting a different way eg:

connecting rca output from something like this Amazon product into the subwoofer line in, then use the subwoofer line out rca to my active speaker rca in?

would this work? and is it safe? also would the manual crossover work this way?

what is the rca or line level output on the back of the sub used for?

any help is appreciated thanks.

Ultrasonic

I can't quite tell what that sub output is? Maybe a 3.5 mm headphone type jack? If so you'd just want a cable with this at one end and two RCA plugs at the other I think. Assuming the sub you have in mind has stereo inputs?

Last edited:

Conrad.

I'm not sure why you would need an external DAC in this set up, unless you were planning on connecting the edifiers using a digital connection (you mention RCA but coax has the same connector).

What's the rest of the system, at least the source and sub?

kopmjj

Hi thanks for your replys it seems it has 3.5mm out rather than RCA sub output, I would be using just optical input, and usually I would have a simple sub out of speaker to stereo in , on the sub, apparently with these speakers it doesn't work properly, so my question is can I do sub out from speaker to stereo/ low line level in on the sub, then line out stereo out from sub to stereo in on the speaker?

Sub I'm using is acoustic energy 308 subwoofer.

Conrad.

Ok, optical out makes more sense then.

So yeah, a DAC would work. Looking at the manual it doesn't look like the line out from the sub works as I would expect it to. It claims that that signal needs to go back to the power amp but I don't fully understand why. You could try it, go PC -> DAC -> Sub -> Speakers

You could also try PC -> DAC -> Y splitter -> Sub / Speakers but you'd need to work with the crossover to match the speakers natural roll off.

kopmjj

Thanks will give it a try when the speaker gets here Wednesday, I'm just worried ive never used the line out from a subwoofer before, as I have Dolby atmos set up in the front room which used sub out to lfe input of the sub.

Anything to worry about sending signal back from the sub to speaker?

Conrad.

I'd consult the manual, I don't know I'm afraid. Like I said, the manual I read said that those outputs are to loop back to an amp but I don't know why you'd want to do that. You don't have an amp in your chain (in the typical sense, the amp is in one speaker) in which case you might be fine.

Whatever you do though I'd start with a very low volume.

kopmjj

Just to update I got the speakers and without sub it sounds rather decent, first time listening to a 3vqay speaker on a bookshelf sounded rather amazing.

But I still wanted to try out a sub and first used the sub out to left right in on the sub, I was getting bass but I think only mono , then I did headphone out on my sound card to sub in, the sub out rca to rca on on the speakers, I got full bass , but even playing with the manual crossover I couldn't feel the bass from my seating position, only if I moved right next to the sub.

So then I decided to use my yamaha avr I had lying around, and use the front out rca to rca in on the speaker amp, and sub out from avr , what I got is mind blowing sound .

I know using a avr with powered speakers defeats the purpose of getting a powered speaker in the first place and maybe I should have bought passive speakers. But I dont think I could have achieved the same sound with passive speakers as the active speakers are 3 way speakers with 6.5 inch bass driver and 4 inch mid range driver, the sound is so full with weight and quality.

I had previously used my acr with kef 300 and this setup sounds so much better it has to be because of the 3 way as the keds are more expensive and quality was supposed to be way better.

Anyway I'm so happy right now. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Conrad.

What you're doing is just using the AVR as a processor, which is fine.
The AVR is doing the bass management that (apparently) the Edifiers are bad at, and sending the high frequency sounds to the speakers and the low frequency sounds to the sub.

This is a great way to set it up. Now you also have the advantage that you can connect multiple sources to the AVR and make use of its processing power.

I would look through the menu for speaker menu and then a crossover setting. Adjust that and see if there's a setting that you prefer. 80Hz is where it probably is but try 60 or 100 and see if you prefer that sound.

kopmjj

I haven't tried 60hz only left it at 80, but the speakers apparently go down to 45hz so I might mess around but so far it's even better then my tannoy dc6t with marantz pm6005 I had, and that cost quite a lot than what I paid now, but to be honest I didn't get the wow feeling without using the avr.

Like I said it has to be the bigger bass driver and 3 ways speaker type that's maki g the difference.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom