1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line of dead pixels - 37" Panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mrv, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh dear......

TH37PW5B - Complete line of dead blue pixels about three inches from the right hand side. Removed power to see if this would clear the problem - no luck. Tried all the normal things, hit it with a hammer, shouted at it, turned it on/off quickly to catch it by surprise - still no change :laugh: :laugh:

Fortunately the beast is only 5 months old and is so still under manufacturers warranty but this would have been a right expensive pain if it wasn't.

I am now feeling a little uneasy for the longer term reliability. I may well have to consider the extended warranty once the end of the first year approaches.

Mike

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are sitting next to another panasonic warranty thread. They don't make your screen any more, and the replacement is not imported into UK. Interesting to see what they do. Not to mention how long it takes.

3. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've just got through to the Panasonic call centre (quite easy really in spite of what appears to be happening in the other thread).

They are quite happy to take it away now but could not provide a loan unit and give no indication of how long I will be without it ( that would make me popular over Xmas...).

If I want a loan unit (yes) then I will have to wait until after Xmas (which is what I've chosen to do). The dead line is a pain but can be lived with - better option than living without the plasma.

Mike

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You might wait some time for a loan unit. I have to say, I have phoned panasonic for customers more than twice, as they say, and each time has been just like the other thread. You are very lucky, I hope you stay that way!

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    my 42ins pany got those lines down it as well, took 3mths from the day they took the screen till the day i got it back. Bless em they did give me £30 marks and spencer vouchers. oh and this was after the first week of use.

at one point they said they never had a screen from me.:mad:

good luck

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    MRV

Does your panel have a video card installed - or are the Component RCA inputs built into the chassis? If it does have a card it will be the RCA Terminal Board.

If you do have a card I'd power down the screen and then pull the card before reseating it - this has worked on occasion when we've had similar faults on a PWD model.

Best regards

Joe

7. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is it possible that service for the black framed models is better than for the silver framed given that the former is a product of the commercial side of the company and not the consumer side?

8. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joe,

It's got the RCA board so I will try that. I had this thought that you had suggested something like this elsewhere on the forum but couldn't find where. Will give this a go tonight and report how I get on.

Gandley,

3 months to repair it :nono: :nono: What the hell were they doing - surely this must be a simple fix for any half decent engineer with the proper kit or is this a question of waiting for the right parts (to come from Japan no doubt - or some other Far East location).

Did they give you a loan unit? And if not, why not? Only a week old - I'd have thought they should have given you a brand new one - or you supplier should have.

Mike

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    it was a complete nightmare. for a while panasonic were saying endeaver had it, endeaver said panasonic had it.

No loan unit. we did get a personal apology and as said £30 M&S vouchers. No couldnt get a replacment unit had to be repaired.
    though i like the new panasonic plasmas ill never buy panasonic again

10. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well blow me down....

Just had a call from Panasonic - "Sorry but the earliest we can get to you is 22 December. We will leave you a 42" loan unit. "

As I only reported it yesterday and was resigned to not getting anywhere with it until after Xmas that seems a right result (I know - it's not happened yet but be positive). And with them leaving a 42" maybe they'd best not hurry back with the 37" (especially if they leave a series 6) :laugh: :laugh:

Dilemma.

Do I try Joe's suggested fix tonight and risk curing the problem or do I leave well alone and look forward to having a 42" over Xmas? Answers on a Xmas card please.

Mike

11. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I waited for nearly 6 weeks for a load unit - simaliar problems to yours (dead line of pixels) and the other panny thread (powering off). kept waiting.. until i played hell and the placed my 5 series with a 6 series.

If you've had the unit less then 6 months this maybe a tact to take - within 6 months the manufacturer has to proved the unit was not at fault when shipped. I played that, plus the fact a waited and waited I got, what i consider a good result (apart been without a tv for 8 weeks (2 weeks to get a new unit)).

My advice - log the call, request a loan unit and get on the waiting list. If you unit keeps working then you've lost nothing when a loan becomes available. If, as i suspect, the unit does die you will be near the top of the loan queue. If you have been on the loan q for 6 weeks or so, play hell and demand a replacement and you may just get a result!

12. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well true to their word the men from Panasonic (actually a company called Barron McCann - anybody heard of them??) arrived today and took away the broken unit and left me with a loan unit (which turned out to be another 37" rather than the 42" indicated when they phoned - never mind).

Mike

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's how it should work, good result. They're bound to fix it or replace it now.