1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

line level cable lengths

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by JDC, May 6, 2003.

1. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have experience / info on maximum lengths of interconnects (analogue and digital, coax and optical) between sources and processor? At what stage could RF interference or signal quality become an audible problem etc...

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think you'll find the subject has been covered in several other posts,but in general,the longer the cable runs,the greater the potential for signal degradation and interference.
    Therefore,keeps cable runs to a minimum,and avoid running low level signal cables near sources of RF or mains interference.
    The other thing to bear in mind is the capacity of the preamp to drive long cable runs,and the capacitance of such runs(these issues are lessened,as is intereference,by using balanced cables where possible).
    Having said that,unbalanced runs of several metres are quite practical with most decent pre-amps/processors....I use a few 3m plus runs of Kimber cable to the power amps in my system.