Question Line level and Speaker level sub setup question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BTNV, Dec 11, 2018.

1. BTNV

BTNV
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay here's a question that may be very easy to answer, but I don't want to damage any equipment so it's still worth asking. First I'll explain the setup, otherwise people will wonder why the hell I would even try to do this.

In my listening area, I have
    1) Two amp/stereos - Yamaha RX 1030 AVR into Outlaw 5000
    - Pioneer SX-780 vintage stereo
    2) One set of main speakers - B&W 683 towers
    3) a set of B speakers on the other side of the pool table - Def Tech towers with built in subs
    4) a 12" PL-200 powered sub (1000 watts with crossover)
    5) Beresford TC7220 amplifier switch. The Yamaha and Pioneer are connected to this from each A speaker set
    There's obviously more equipment than this connected, but these are the important components for this question.

The reason it is setup this way is so that I can use to Pioneer vintage stereo when listening to vinyl and then when watching a movie or PS4, flip to the Yamaha. I can do this cleanly with the Beresford, and use the B&W's for both. It's a great setup and meets my needs.

The sub is currently set up where the Yamaha AVR is sending the LFE signal to the sub for movies/PS4 but I also use the B speaker setting from the Pioneer to the sub in order to get better range when listening to music. I'm using the speaker level inputs on the sub for that. It works great and sounds very full.

Here's the dilemma. I want to use my secondary speakers when listening to vinyl/music from the Pioneer on occasion. I don't need the speakers for PS4/Movies. But I can't under this current setup without using a speaker selector which I loathe. I just do not trust them. So here is my proposed solution:

From the Beresford amp switch on the main B&W line, route it into the high level speaker inputs on sub, then use the output from the speaker line to go into the main B&Ws. Set the crossover a little higher than the publicized range of course, and let the sub do the work on the mains. Then use the B output on the Pioneer as designed and send that signal to my Def Techs on the other side of the room. Easy peezy.. but...

Under that scenario, when using the Yamaha AVR, the sub will be receiving both an LFE signal AND the speaker level signal I think. Remember the speaker signal goes to the Beresford and then to the B&W's (or sub to B&W). So here are my questions:

1. Is this even true, or if I set the crossover on the sub to the same as the crossover on the Yamaha AVR, will the low signal never pass through the speaker inputs, therefore no problem?
    2. Or could the sub receive the signal from two sources, and if it does, is that an issue on load for the sub or any other components?

Sorry for the long write up for a straightforward question, but without the context, people would offer solutions that don't work under what I'm trying to accomplish.

2. BTNV

BTNV
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, no one has an opinion. Maybe I wrote too much. Alas, I think I solved it anyway. If I switch my speaker setup on the AVR to "small" and the crossover to 150, same as the sub, it should eliminate the signal from the speaker level. This is the setup I'll use.