1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Line input level problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Darren Blake, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all.

I have just added my PC to my home cinema setup. I have taken the speaker feed out of the souncard and into a spare pair of phono sockets in my AVR - no problem there, except the PC sound does sound very very "bassy". Could just be that I got too used to my tinny little old PC speakers.

Anyway, today I wired a line level output from my AVR to the line input on my sound card. When I tried to set the recording level using the slider in the audio controls settings, try as I might I could not get the input volume down to a usable level. Everything I record from my AVR through the line input is distorted, even if I slide the level right down to the bottom.

I thought all line levels were the same? Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? Or is the problem more likely to be a mismatch between my AVR line level out and the input level expected by the sound card?

2. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    OK. Bump and update...

This seems to be a problem with the on board sound on my PC's motherboard, or possibly with the drivers, because recording from the PC's CD drive gives the same problem. I have downloaded the latest drivers from the MSI website but they make no difference. In fact they don't even install properly (boo, hiss).

The sound hardware on the main board is AC97 which I gather is pretty cheap and nasty. I could disable it and put in another card. What I would really like is one with optical audio input for hooking up to my CD player.

Can anyone recommend one? I don't want to break the bank. £50 or so if poss.

Cheers,