Line In Connection

Mr.O

Standard Member
These are questions from someone relatively new to AV. Does it matter whether I connect the "Active Subwoofer Line Out" from my amp/receiver to the left or the right "Line In" on my subwoofer? Does it make a difference to the quality of sound if I purchase one of the proper subwoofer leads that I have seen advertised?

jagr

Mr.O said:
These are questions from someone relatively new to AV. Does it matter whether I connect the "Active Subwoofer Line Out" from my amp/receiver to the left or the right "Line In" on my subwoofer? Does it make a difference to the quality of sound if I purchase one of the proper subwoofer leads that I have seen advertised?

On my previous Boston sub it made no difference whether it was connected via left or right, But on my XLS200 it states to use the 'Right' for a single connection.
I used to use a standard RCA cable thinking it would not make a difference but recently changed to Van Damme sub cable and I can clearly hear an improvement in the bass.

I have only recently realised that the right cables can make a significant difference to the sound and picture you get.

Ian J

Banned
Both questions depend on what make of sub you have. On some subs the left and right imput sockets are identical and on others they are not.

A decent subwoofer cable will help to get the best sound possible out of the sub as well as help keep it shielded from hum but if the sub isn't very good to start with, a sub cable can't turn it into a good one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom