• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Line capped ? how do you know ?

Shady

Hi chaps

Is there any on-line tool which checks your telephone line to see if you are capped at a particular speed ?

I am sure mine might be - but didn't want to spend hours sitting on the Sky support line.

In fact, would they know - or is this a BT job ?

I am on Sky Max and I am now getting a 2MB connection - up from the 1 MB I was getting by moving the router to the master socket and buying a filtered master socket faceplate (thanks to others on this forum for the advice).

I just want to know if I can squeeze any more out of this service. When this was first set-up a year ago they mentioned the line may be capped in order to try to resolve my issues (which were hardware issues in the exchange) - what I don't know is whether they did cap my line, or if they did, whether this was uncapped afterwards.

Cheers

Rygar

No, but Looking at your line stats may give some clue. A cap of this nature would be done at the IP throughput level, which can be affected by other factors as well as the ISP. If it is capped in this manner only Sky would be able to say for sure. Not really any reason for them to lie about it, they should just say yest it is capped to give better stability or whatever. Can just depend on the CS rep you get on the phone sometimes however.

Shady

Thanks for the reply Rygar - and it was your advice I was referring to - moving the router to the master socket has had a great impact on speed.

Thanks again...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom