Lindemann Limetree Network Streamer Review & Comments

@Ed Selley You reviewed quite a few streamers in the past 6-12 months. Most of them are around £500 ballpark with all of them getting 8/9 out of 10. In fact you gave the Node 2i 'Best in Class' badge. After skimming through all of it is it fair to say that the main thing that sets them apart is in the software/app implementation plus the ongoing support going forward, considering we all use a good DAC?

The Node 2i is a peerless piece of kit- it's still the best thing anywhere near the price and the native Bluesound app is a bit better than the native Limetree app. The Limetree adds DSD decoding and upsampling and it does sound better in both this state and when running native. Whether this is worth another £395 to you is an area of subjectivity, I have to leave to people to decide for themselves.

So the best stuff is 'usually built here?'
Really?
Purely my two pennerth but I think that's a pretty bold boast.

So the best stuff is 'usually built here?'
Really?
Purely my two pennerth but I think that's a pretty bold boast.

Depends what you want and your preferences but, quite a bit of it yes. Take kitchenware, specifically knives. I've done the Japanese asymmetric stuff in the past and, frankly, unless you're willing to devote an unreasonable amount of time to maintaining them, they're fragile and labour intensive. This time around, I've gone for German ones (Wuesthof) and I simply cannot believe how much easier they are to keep sharp and they're much (much) less brittle. With other stuff in the kitchen too- LeCreuset cast iron pans, Dualit toasters, Bialetti stove top coffee maker etc- they're so robust as to be practically immortal and they work incredibly well.

We do ourselves and Europe down but there are only a small number of categories where a product that isn't among the very best isn't made somewhere in it. With the specific relevance to this review though, it is more that simply building the Lindemann in Munich means it is going to cost more than it would from the Far East. Again, people will have to decide if it's worth it to them but it's an unavoidable facet of the total cost.

Depends what you want and your preferences but, quite a bit of it yes. Take kitchenware, specifically knives. I've done the Japanese asymmetric stuff in the past and, frankly, unless you're willing to devote an unreasonable amount of time to maintaining them, they're fragile and labour intensive. This time around, I've gone for German ones (Wuesthof) and I simply cannot believe how much easier they are to keep sharp and they're much (much) less brittle. With other stuff in the kitchen too- LeCreuset cast iron pans, Dualit toasters, Bialetti stove top coffee maker etc- they're so robust as to be practically immortal and they work incredibly well.

We do ourselves and Europe down but there are only a small number of categories where a product that isn't among the very best isn't made somewhere in it. With the specific relevance to this review though, it is more that simply building the Lindemann in Munich means it is going to cost more than it would from the Far East. Again, people will have to decide if it's worth it to them but it's an unavoidable facet of the total cost.

Generally agree - there are plenty of European brands that are either very high quality, very stylish and luxurious or all three. The American brands generally down do luxury nearly as well, which partly reflects the US consumer who is on average more concerned with price and basic functionality. This extends to his end fashion, cars, watches and more.

People fall too easily into parroting the "nothing is made here, everything is made (cheaply) in Asia" line. Yes, a lot of staples are made there, but away from that Europe still manufactures a lot of great stuff (a residual Brexit concern for someone who loves higher end German, Italian and Scandinavian brands - selfish I know!).

Thanks for this review @Ed Selley - this looks a quality product. I looked up the Bridge but I find the fact that it resamples everything to one of two sets of sample rates a bit of a deal-breaker for me. I've forked out a reasonable chunk of change on a Chord Qutest DAC and would rather it received the sample rate as is and did its thing.

The reason it's made in Europe is because the volumes are sufficiently low that it's just not worth the hassle to make it in the far east. They aren't going to be shifting thousands, let along tens of thousands of these.

Incidentally, the upper board is an off the shelf single board computer - the Stream810. It's been around for years.

The clever stuff (fancy clocks etc) is underneath.

Thanks for the review. Looks like a really nice piece of kit, and I will definitely be searching one out for a demo in the new year. I’ll reserve my judgement on its perceived value until I’ve actually heard it....unlike many on here. 😂

Thanks for the review. Looks like a really nice piece of kit, and I will definitely be searching one out for a demo in the new year. I’ll reserve my judgement on its perceived value until I’ve actually heard it....unlike many on here. 😂

Well said :) I sometimes wonder if some people just read reviews so they can pick fault / criticise them.

I would be interested to know what Ed thinks on the Limetree Network versus the Bluesound Node 2i as he has reviewed both. I appreciate there is quite a gap in price but would like to know if that gap is made up for in the performance of the Limetree. It certainly seems to have the capability to be very good. Thereafter an audition will be essential to settle the matter. The only thing missing from the Limetree would be a 4.4mm balanced headphone out if I'm being picky!!!

Ah ok, my bad I see this was answered earlier in the thread. Still think the Limetree would be good with a balanced headphone out.

Sorry I’m late to the party to on this review.
I just had to make a comment though.
Ive been looking for a Streamer under £1500 for a while.
I have actually home Demi’s the Limetree products. I’ve one thing to say to anyone considering it. Don’t. Just don’t.
The operating system is clunky and slow. Furthermore, and I think this is significant, it is not Spotify compatible at all! Yes even though EVERY review online lists that it is, it is not. They have now changed their website stating it’s on the way. Well, they’ve been saying this since January 2019. I know it’s not Hi res but come on, it’s a ubiquitous streaming service and it’s not supported.
The review comment made by Ed in the Bluesound node 2i review is very pertinent here. A streamer is only as good as it’s software. This is where the Limetree seriously falls down. It did sound good on Tidal and internet radio but it was not a smoot operation and certainly didn’t act like a premium product.
In actual fact I don’t think it’s fit for purpose.

@jim586music That is exactly the point I was making in this thread Cyrus Cadence - any other users of this nightmare?

We are not being served well by reviewers that do not test the software aspects of hardware properly. I have still yet to find an audio manufacturer that produces error free, comprehensive software applications for their hardware and by not highlighting how important this is it is allowing manufacturers to continue being lazy. I still say that most software on audio products I have owned has been a form of mental torture. Teufel whilst not perfect seem to be the closest to a reasonable software product for their hardware.

Making an objective call on operating software is almost impossible because we're looking for different things. I found the Lindemann perfectly OK- it rendered my library correctly, worked quickly, didn't fall over and didn't have a queue function. That last one is notable because I am aware that many people like queue management and would consider that a negative. I on the other hand, hate it with a passion. I can respect BluOS for example but couldn't actually live with it because it is obsessed with queuing music.

From a reviewer perspective then, I have to celebrate Blu OS because it's objectively good but I absolutely 100% can't have it myself. It's interesting that Teufel has been brought up because if that is referring to the Raumfeld platform, I hate that with a passion too. My favourite manufacturer specific app is Naim because it is so clean but I know from comments here, many people vehemently disagree. Like most other bits of two channel reviewing, it's shades of grey and there is no substitute for trying it yourself.

I didn't know about Spotify though. As it's the easiest service to integrate and my membership has lapsed, it wasn't tested because generally it's an article of faith it works. I'll have to add it back at some point.

I too asked Lindemann to confirm the Spotify status on the Limetree network streamer product and they haven’t even bothered to reply in over a month! Hmm, I‘m not sure that kind service for a product costing just shy of a £grand is my kind of service level.

I know Spotify isn’t the be all and end all of streaming, but I use it, as do my kids so whether we should all be going down the Tidal, Qobuz, etc route or not, is irrelevant, it really should support Spotify or I can only see these on special offer in the near future due to lack of demand.

Shame, the unit looked “almost” perfect for what I was wanted, but it appears the search goes on. 😔

For anyone who is still considering Lindemann Network Streamer, today I received the message below from Lindemann regarding the lack of Spotify support following my query with the manufacturer.

Regarding your question: We are currently in the middle of the certification process. Spotify will be available soon, but I cannot say for sure when. Hopefully a few weeks.

Hope this helps!

Best from Munich
Christopher

I personally haven’t found an alternative so maybe holding on for Spotify support and dare I say, a few software updates, might prove fruitful.......especially given I haven’t found anything else, this compact and specification that I like.🤞

Hi Ed,
Great review, although It appears to be getting a lukewarm response from Forum Members.

Here lies the problem (for me anyway), I have put together a selection of hardware with the emphasis on value for money. I have a Sony TA-A1ES amplifier that I obtained for £400 (albeit weighing in at an eyewatering retail price of £2,000), a Marantz CD6006UK for £300 and Dynaudio special 40's (they bankrupted me after somebody on this Forum reviewed them with a full 10 score, any ideas who that was Ed) ? 😉
Now, to finish the setup I need a streamer with a good quality DAC (seperates) or a good combination. I have looked at the following, Bluesound Node 2i with a seperate DAC, (maybe the Chord Qutest Dac), Cambridge Audio CXN Version2, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N and even a used Lumin T1. Out of these, the 851N seemed the tidiest and most sensible route. That was until this review surfaced.
I would like to subscribe to Quboz Hi-res and also attach a hard drive/Nas with hi-res audio files.
I'm so confused, could you please point me in the right direction. If I'm being totally honest, I'd like to get the best out of the special 40's. Maybe in time I could replace the (Dacless) Sony amplifier for something better but lots of people speak highly of it and it sounds pretty good to me.
Some items I would try and purchase secondhand (chord Dac, Lumin T1, Azur851N) to keep the price down.
Gregory

Hi I find myself in a similar position. Recently bought the special forties which I drive with an Audiolab 8200a integrated. I am still streaming with an yamaha wxad10
so to truely enjoy the special forties some more upgrades seem in order, starting with the streamer.
My goal is to gain the most improvement in sq in a €500-1000 Budget.
I manly stream Spotify, but consider tidal or different if this would better the sq.
Reviews seem to point to the node 2i as best value for money at this price point.
I am also looking at the Cxn V2 the Lindemann and the pioneer n50ea.

what did you decide on? And are you happy with the result?

all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nico

To true

Hi Nico,
Up to now, the only item I have purchased is a used Chord 2Qute DAC. I paid just over £450 for it. I'm going to see how that performs with the Marantz CD6006 U.K. the Sony TA-A1ES amp and the special 40's. I'll stick for now with a C.D. system and keep an eye out for a used streamer (funds allowing).
We are (were) in the process of moving home, so most of the equipment is in storage therefore I'm currently unable to demo with the chord Dac.
I was aware of the Node 2i which looks to be very good. If funds can stretch, the idea of a used Lumin Streamer really appeals to me, (watch this space) !!
Gregory

For those thinking about a purchase, I've had one for a good while now and it's fantastic. Specifically for Spotify users - it's now been added after a firmware update.

Hi Nico,
Nothing purchased so far, so waiting until shops start opening and things improve slightly.
Gregory

The Limetree Network is excellent value for money. I had a loan of the ifi Audio Pro iDSD for some weeks and had the chance to compare the 2 head to head with different headphones and streaming sources. It was far closer than I expected.

Then came the opportunity to get a deal on a Lindemann Limetree Headphone. Once installed and run in that differential to the Pro iDSD was very difficult to justify. Couple that with a much superior control app and the Lindemann pairing is astonishing. Just a shame there is no balanced option, but maybe in the future.......please?

@Dadracer Very interesting comparison. I agree on the excellent value proposition as I paid €845 euro here in Ireland from a shop in Munich as it was £845 in the UK. Delivery was cheap enough.

It was the DSD on the fly business that really put the hook in me and I'm glad I splashed out.

Yeah I have a bit of a link with ifi Audio and have tried and owned quite a bit of their more budget products over the past. I was a bit shocked when they said they could lend me the Pro iDSD for several months if I wanted! I expected it to be at the level of my main system streamer/dac/amp and yet fit on my desk and offer MQA and balanced operation.

As it transpires it doesn't really better the Limetree Network on SQ unless you are running it balanced with TOTL headphones. The control apps (one main one and a second one if you want MQA!) I found frustrating to use unlike the one on the Limetree.

Also I have begun to use Qobuz recently and now think I prefer this to Tidal so the MQA issue is moot. I recently added the Limetree Headphone and that moves things on by a fair bit and gives a much finer control on volume, improved SQ and a wee smidgen of warmth to the sound that wasn't there before.

It's a shame there is no 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced output on the Lindemann but you can't have it all! Mind you on my main system........

Yeah I have a bit of a link with ifi Audio and have tried and owned quite a bit of their more budget products over the past. I was a bit shocked when they said they could lend me the Pro iDSD for several months if I wanted! I expected it to be at the level of my main system streamer/dac/amp and yet fit on my desk and offer MQA and balanced operation.

As it transpires it doesn't really better the Limetree Network on SQ unless you are running it balanced with TOTL headphones. The control apps (one main one and a second one if you want MQA!) I found frustrating to use unlike the one on the Limetree.

Also I have begun to use Qobuz recently and now think I prefer this to Tidal so the MQA issue is moot. I recently added the Limetree Headphone and that moves things on by a fair bit and gives a much finer control on volume, improved SQ and a wee smidgen of warmth to the sound that wasn't there before.

It's a shame there is no 2.5mm or 4.4mm balanced output on the Lindemann but you can't have it all! Mind you on my main system........
I'll have to look in to getting the limetree headphones as that sounds intriguing. The balanced output would be the icing alright but overall it's a fascinating little item from a firm that seems to love what they do. I find the limetree gives a live feeling to the music especially to Davis Davis and John Coltrane I've been listening to recently. It's the live warm sound I find gorgeous every time I switch on.

Good plan! The only issue to be mildly aware of is that it doesn't like headphones with very low impedance (less than 30 ohm) if they are also low efficiency of below 99dB. That can then reduce your options if you are a fan of some planar designs such as Dan Clark. It is not an issue for me as I mostly use dynamics and the closed back ATH MSR7b I use with the Limetrees seems to work very well and fit within the right price band.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom