Limping Kitten

joel88

Established Member
Reaction score
So yea, as the title states (sounds like a name for an Indie band doesn't it?).

We've had our Kitten for just over a week now, and she's just under 3 months old. Yesterday, when i got home from work, i noticed she was limping a bit and holding her right front paw off the ground a bit.
She doesn't appear to be in pain - no more meowing than usual, but she was sleeping a lot last night and too interested in playing. She was eating fine though.
This morning, she's still limping but seems a bit more lively - running around, running up and down stairs etc. Anyone know anything about kittens and limping?!

I've checked the paw and it seems fine, no splinters or anything. It seems to be the leg('shin' area?!) that is the source of discomfort.

Get it to a vet ASAP. Never know with these things and the sooner its treated the better. May be nothing but no one on here can say for sure without an examination.

Not much recent experience with cats, I'm more a dog person these days. However, you have already ruled out foreign bodies in the paw, so my next guess would be that kitty has pulled or sprained something while bouncing about. If it appears to be giving excessive discomfort then the vet could prescribe pain killers. Maybe just keep an eye on things today and tomorrow, especially if your kitten is otherwise happy and healthy as you described. If you are at all worried, then I am sure the vet would be happy to see you. If it were my pet, I would go see the pros just for peace of mind.

nonumb said:
Get it to a vet ASAP. Never know with these things and the sooner its treated the better. May be nothing but no one on here can say for sure without an examination.

Agreed. There is only so much use an internet forum can give compared to a professional examination.

Yep, i thought so. I'm at work again now though.
Will see how she is walking on it when i get home, if still the same then i'll take her down the vets tonight

Not much recent experience with cats, I'm more a dog person these days. However, you have already ruled out foreign bodies in the paw, so my next guess would be that kitty has pulled or sprained something while bouncing about. If it appears to be giving excessive discomfort then the vet could prescribe pain killers. Maybe just keep an eye on things today and tomorrow, especially if your kitten is otherwise happy and healthy as you described. If you are at all worried, then I am sure the vet would be happy to see you. If it were my pet, I would go see the pros just for peace of mind.

same happened with our dog when she was a puppy. she had just been going mental as usual and knocked herself and bruised and strained a leg muscle. best go to a vet just in case but they might do an x-ray which will cost you.

erm...what would you do if it was a 3 month old baby?

erm...what would you do if it was a 3 month old baby?

Well, if the cat was constantly meowing, as a baby would cry, then i would take it to the vet straight away.
But as it doesn't seem to be in pain, and she's still running on it and jumping up, i thought i would ask you guys before i get home and decide.

Looking on some other forums - people have advised to monitor it for a day to see if it eases at all.

I'll see what she's like when i get home from work, then decide.

Well, if the cat was constantly meowing, as a baby would cry, then i would take it to the vet straight away.
But as it doesn't seem to be in pain, and she's still running on it and jumping up, i thought i would ask you guys before i get home and decide.

Looking on some other forums - people have advised to monitor it for a day to see if it eases at all.

I'll see what she's like when i get home from work, then decide.

it is most likely a strain or bruised leg. if it was more badly injured it wouldnt be moving around much.

it is most likely a strain or bruised leg. if it was more badly injured it wouldnt be moving around much.

Agree. Our two cats have always been doing this all their lives. One day you will see them limping, but a couple of days later it's gone. Just think all the crazy places and heights they jump from.

If it was any more serious the kitten would not be moving the same and would be making a lot of noise. I've had cats all my life and have always taken them to the vets when needed, but little things like this are something you should keep an eye on, if it gets worse then by all means get them to the vets.

Yep, this was my thinking.
My girlfriend was playing with her this morning as normal, and she was chasing after the fluffy shoeloace thing as usual. Plus, as i said before, she was happily running up and down the stairs this morn when i was getting ready for work.:)

We'll see.

Does it seem to get better over the course of the day?

We had this with our dog when we first got her and found out she was sleeping funny and getting a dead leg :facepalm: she soon worked out how to sleep better (apparently this on your back with your paws in the air) and had no problems after that.

Does it seem to get better over the course of the day?

We had this with our dog when we first got her and found out she was sleeping funny and getting a dead leg :facepalm: she soon worked out how to sleep better (apparently this on your back with your paws in the air) and had no problems after that.

Still at work, so i dont know until i get home.

This thread needs pictures :p

Ziggy....

Attachments

• 20120811_183655.jpg
    20120811_183655.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 128
beautiful :)

joel88 said:
Ziggy....

Mmm. I think I see the problem. You need to stop sitting on your cat :/

Mmm. I think I see the problem. You need to stop sitting on your cat :/

That would be my girlfriend's leg.

Ziggy seems a lot better since i got home. Running more, jumping more etc. Seems normal again. Limping slightly, ever so often, but not a lot.

Awww, look at the cutie kittie! :love:

You could make a LOLcat picture out of that with the caption "FEED ME!"

Beware they will have thumbs next:laugh:

Attachments

• 20120811_183655.jpg
    20120811_183655.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 83

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom