Limited space for rears - best advice?

Tim_Field

Hi all,

I have a 2 seater Sofa that is up against a wall. I need some rear speakers that will be directly behind the sofa. It won't be possible to put speakers on the side walls due to the room layout. I have a Marantz AV8002 and Bryston 5 channel power amp, and running run a centre and front speakers. I can go to 30 width on the speakers if wall mounted or put in very thin floorstanders / high stands with stand mounters. My old house walls mean that speakers cannot be put inside these. I am aware of dipoles and bipoles as well as options. Lots of choice!

Wondering given the restrictions what you'd recommend? I can spend a fair bit but ideally not go crazy.

Thanks, Tim

Jester1066

Hi Tim,

A full width picture of the rear wall & sofa would really help. Off the bat, you could go with Monitor Audio FX (dipole/bipole switchable). They need to be placed at minimum 30cm from any adjacent wall and can be either side or rear wall mounted. Ideal as your sofa (like mine) is against a wall.

rccarguy2

Go bipole or dipole. I've owned and own both types.

Definitive technology bp-1x are quite small

martin 39

I switched to mk m4t tripole coming from bw ds6 s2 dipoles which were brilliant but these blow them away and really small. M40t is the new version which my mate has behind a sofa and they sound amazing

martin 39

My old house was very similar i had my rears on the sides one on the staiecase wall and one one the other worked fine

martin 39

Theres a pair of mk m4t just gone in the classifieds for £180 brilliant surround speakers would fit on the sides a treat and take up very little space

Tim_Field

Thanks v much. So better to run on the sides e.g. staircase? That'd be a messier solution but technically possible. I was thinking about wall mounted where the martin logans are (these are being sold).

martin 39

Thats how small the mks are
16337206265837301251396813219079.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom