1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

limitation of pc or projector?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ROne, Oct 13, 2001.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is driving me crazy, I have tried - power dvd, win dvd, ati player (the latest version in all cases), I have tried two different graphics cards (Radeon, Geforce 256) and hundreds of refresh rate combinations and resolutions.

But I have two problems that will not go away in any combo.

1) The de-interlacing is awful, the pans in any refresh rate of juddery. I know people talk of absolutely smooth playback but how when these things don't do good 2:2 and 3:2 pull down. Surely no matter what refresh rate you set it not going to make up for substandard re-verse telecine?

There is an inconsitency I have picked up on the different forums, some say 72 hz becuase this is a multiple of 24 which would surely apply on all dvds. And some say 75hz for pal and 60 hz for NTSC, well which is it? Are we sticking to the film or video element of the transfer of the disc.

2) I get a terrible horizontal tearing when ever any fast action happens, like the project can't synch with the pc picture. I have tried cine-masters settings to alter the way it scans the screen and no difference.

I must be missing something because of how people go on about how goog the PC is at a dvd player which is whats kept me going.

Am I wasting my time now pursuing this avenue with this projector, or am I just picky?

Any ideas much appreciated.

PIII 866
    815 abit
    creative DVD player. DMA ! on
    various video cards etc.
    toshiba mt-7 in 1280 x 960

Thanks. ROne.

[ 13-10-2001: Message edited by: ROne ]

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROne what is the sweet spot of the projector? 1280x960 is an aspect ratio that I would expect too use on 8" or 9" CRTs.

1) Have you tried 800x600. I would suggest starting there and working up.

2) List some of the discs you're having problems with including region. I take it it happens on all DVDs?

3) Refresh rate should ideally be 72hz for R1 NTSC and 75hz for PAL. Dont worry about that for the time being leave it at 72hz.

4) Does a DVD Player (or other source) work correctly when plugged directly into the Projector?

Regards Jenz.

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I had same trouble with my ToshibaMT1.
    If I altered the refresh rate from the standard 60hz, the picture would tear or wobble as the camera panned.
    In the end i gave up!.
    But after seeing Kryton, I felt that maybe I should re-look into the HTPC thing!.
    I wonder if LCDs refresh at 60hz regardless of the PCs refresh rate. Ie the onboard electronics guess what frames should be displayed.
    I should be getting my new CRT projector next week. Once setup i will have another look.
    I will let you know the results! :)

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: fulabeer ]

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jenz,

The sweet spot of the projector is 1280 x 720, however like a lot of projectors, the tosh won't accept this native resolution.

So you have to hit it with 1280 x 960, as the projector only supports 4:3 resolutions in RGB. So what I do is bang this resolution in and select "thru" on the menu which will map any resolution 1-1 so if its 800x600 it would sit very small in the 1280 x 720 panel. But with 1280 x 960 the 1280 becomes the correct width and the 960 is overscan leaving a 720 inside the correct 16:9 area.

However irresepective of the resolution the projector tears on any disc, any refresh rate. If you hit 75hz for a PAL disc the juddering stops and the tearing line remains almost static.

It seems as though its a limitation of TOSH's projectors in general because the MT1 also did this.

And no it doesn't do it through the component input just RGB.

I have got a deuce HD coming next week (WED) which will scale to 720p in PAL and NTSC and I know the projector will handle 720p NTSC but no so sure about PAL. Well I shouldn't call it pal, but 720p 50hz.

This is frustrating because I'm only after progressive scan in PAL, and so far I've bought and ISCAN, built a second computer, tried two different graphics cards ....

And I have no PAL progressive. I've contacted TOSHIBA who knew very little about the projector.

All my hopes are resting on the Deuce. The things is when all this is done I will be able to give a full run down of what does and doesn't work for other people.

I am over doing it a bit, I mean the scaler in the MT-7 is not that bad but once you've seen prog scan you don't want to go back.

[ 24-10-2001: Message edited by: ROne ]

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,409
    Sounds like the projector to me.
    I see you're in notts.
    You're welcome to bring your HCPC down to mine in Birmingham to check it out with a Barco if you like.
    It's set up to do 1280x960.

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    With a fixed panel device there's surely no reason to drive it at 72 - you can do just as well at 48 as there is no 'refresh rate' to see.
    You could even go to 24 with no degredation in pq

*I think anyway* :)
    Can someone confirm?

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Reason for driving at multiples of 24, up to 72 is to remove visible flicker between frames.

The cinema projectors 24 frames stamped twice, giving effectively 48fps, in the cinema under lsuch ow lights, flicker is very perceptible.

Spectre, very generous offer and I may well take you up on it. And I do think its a limitation of the projector, however when I try the deuce next week at 720p I will reveal all.

[ 24-10-2001: Message edited by: ROne ]