LIMIT Progressive Questions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sarll, Feb 19, 2003.

1. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi

Got my panny plasma last week so decided to take a plunge with the LIMIT pal/ntsc progressive player from RS safe in the knowledge i could take it back if i didn't like it.

First things first I actually was reasonably impressed with the look and feel of the player it seems to be made of stainless steel rather than plastic - and sits nicely in my av stand.

However the remote is broken already (the fast forward/skip button is constantly on) - so i suppose i'm going to have to go back to the store today.

Anyway i've got it all setup (player set to output YUV) - Supra AV3 component cable > Plasma (component input). PQ is very impressive, but i'm not convinced there is any difference a)compared to my Tosh 220 b) in interlaced c) in progressive.

I've played with the P/I button on the remote and it clearly states on-screen Progessive or Interlaced - but to be honest it makes sod all difference to the picture.

I have the region setting (dvd) to AUTO - is this right?
    Do i need to do anything to the plasma? I've also turned on 3:2 pulldown -again no difference.. (i have r2,r1,r3 discs).

Is there a way of displaying the signal that the plasma is displaying on screen (th37pw5)??

The picture is still great - i just want to make sure the player/screen are doing what they are supposed to!!!

2. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what Panny plasma you have got but eh ahum...if you can enable 3:2 pull down, doesn't that mean that you already have a de-interlacer. As such you won't see much difference between interlaced and progressive as you output monitor (the plasma) is turning it all into a non-interlaced picture anyway....

Turn off all processing on the Plasma and perhaps you see a difference....

Regards,

Jean-Paul

3. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I've got a Panasonic th37pw5. Yeah your right i think this screen does have some built in interlacing/processing tricks. The trouble is i haven't really got a clue about it!

How do i turn off the panels processing?? I've tried toggling 3:2 pulldown (ntsc discs) - no difference.

4. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I have never used any other connection from the Limit other than component to my Sanyo PLV-30 projector. I can see a big difference between Interlaced and Progressive.
    All you have to do is look at the DVD logo that appears when no DVD is in the drive......
    But now I am beyond the 'playing' and 'fiddling' stage I just leave it to auto and on progressive scan and forget about it.

If you don't see any difference on the built-in logo, then perhaps your plasma is doing the magic already. In interlaced the logo moves slightly, in progressive it is rock solid and steady....

Regards,

Jean-Paul

5. sarll

sarll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Saying that i have to admit i did think the dvd logo screen looked better in progressive - its just no difference during films. Looks great though so no complaints