1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LIMIT Problems!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ricky27, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi,Well im quite dissapointed now,stuck Star Wars ep 2 in this player and noticed a horrible vibration which is audible, and can be felt through the player itslef,and my unit!

Although i thought the disc may be at fault,i tried it in a few other players and no sign of it on them,so i tried a few more discs in the limit,it seems about half my discs affect the Limit,and maker it vibrate at varying degrees.

Anyone else had this?
    Needless to say,this will be going back,i'll try another possibly as i do like the player a great deal.

2. steelej

steelej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ricky,

I think you should get one of those overpriced Arcams, built like tanks they are :) . Sorry mate I couldn't resist :) I hope you get it sorted out.

John.

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Just glad you didnt resort to "told you so":D

4. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I experienced this last night with mine.
    The weird thing was it was only at one point on the disc: On the dvd I was playing, It made the noise, which disappeared when I forwarded to the next chapter. I could feel the vibration if I touched the stand that it's sited on.

This bought to my attention another 'fault'; the 'back to the start of the chapter/track button (I<<) on the front panel does not work - never tried to use it before last night when I was investigating the vibration.

I've also had a problem an 2 occasions with subtitles flashing up for no reason (last time was on Band of Brothers) and 'hanging' until I removed them with the subtitle button.

I'm going to return mine for a swap. I'm really happy with it's PQ with my plasma, but realise it is 'cheap'. I won't lose anything with the RS warranty.

5. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    So this looks like it could be common with this player then?
    Even worse news ,player has started to stutter and pause every second or so,drive is getting noisier ,and now wont play 80% of my discs,keeps rejecting them telling me "bad disc"

I wont be getting another,just a refund.

6. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I had this problem too. I swopped it for another and that did exactly the same. Took it back for a refund last night.

It was more noticeable on my Episode 2 disc but it was definitely there on others. It only did it from time to time - sometimes it made a noise and other times it just shook. I thought it might work its way off my rack by itself!

I was impressed enough by the picture to know that I want a progressive scan player. I'll just carry on waiting until the Philips 963SA is easily available or the rest start appearing.

Regards

Richard

7. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what chapter did the Star wars II give problems.
    I have this play and have just got the disc so I can check mine quickly

8. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DRC

Sorry - can't remember. I see you're reluctant to sit down and watch the whole film - very sensible (I'm kidding - it wasn't that bad)!

The curious thing was that, when it happened, I pressed 'stop' and the player continued making the noise until I ejected the disc. Presumably discs continue to spin even after you press 'stop'. Perhaps all players do this and I just hadn't noticed before?

Regards

Richard

9. DRC

DRC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I know what on the menu for tonight

10. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi, it does it with episode 2 as soon as the disc is inserted,but more so on chapters 1 to 6,then gets better as the disc slows down ,untill the layer change and it makes its way back to the edge again,very noisy and after and when i tried it in other players it was silent.

11. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    One other fault i noticed before i took it back was if you have the scart connected aswell as component,the brightness is reduced from component by about 40 %,as soon as you take the scart out the brightness returns,something others may wnat to check before they commit to this player.

12. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

Another one to add to the list is that it doesn't appear to play VCDs or DVD+RWs. I only checked both of these when I had already decided to send it back but my Pioneer 535 plays them both fine.

[edit - others have suggested that these both play on this machine so I may well be wrong. See below]

I would have expected these machines to play anything you throw at them. Mind you - the only VCD I have is our wedding video so that might have actually been a blessing in disguise!

However, just so you don't think I'm being overly negative, I would repeat that I was very impressed with the picture through my AE100. If you can get one that doesn't seem to have any problems with it then you could be very happy. Also - RicherSounds gave a full refund without any probs when I took mine back so it was well worth the effort.

Regards

Richard

13. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Norbert, please note that not all players will have VCD playback enabled out of the box. The MR hack explains how to enable VCD playback.

Ricky27, I think you will notice with a lot of player that the quality of the picture deteriates badly when you have multiple connections at the same time. This is quite a 'standard' 'feature'. And not specific to the Limit.

Norbert, when you press stop on the Limit is actually acts like pause without displaying the picture. They call it resume play (Actually that is displayed on the screen when you look!!!). This way when you press play again you just continue from where you were. If you press stop for the second time, it actually functions like stop.

Just thought I clear up these points.

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

14. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Maybe on some players but not on any of my past players.In effect your saying everytime you want to watch something on the component outputs you will have to scramble around the back of your tv or player and disconnect other connections,then reconnect if you want to watch something on your normal tv.
    IMO not a satisfactory arrangement.

The stop function on this player does keep spinning when you press stop once so you can resume playback,but press it again and it just keeps spinning anyway,not sure if this is normal.

15. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jean-Paul

Many thanks. You can consider those points well and truly cleared up.

I only noticed the continued spinning because of the noise. On my Pioneer 535 I'm pretty sure the resume play works even when you put the player on standby before resuming but maybe I'm mistaken - oh well, it'll give me an excuse to play around some more over the weekend! I appreciate that I could have looked at the screen for the message you mention but, with the amount of noise it was making, I was too busy ducking for cover.

Regarding VCDs - I only have one region 1 disc (Disney's Robin Hood! Its the wife's honest) so I hadn't even bothered looking at the MR hack info. Lesson learnt.

Regards

Richard

16. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Your right,the resume does work when most players go into stand by,my toshiba does,so goodness knows why the limit keeps the disc spinning.

17. jenwilson

jenwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD+RW plays fine on mine (we are talking 9900SE right?)

Didn't even have to set compatibility bit.

Star Wars EpII also plays fine. No Vibrations.

18. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Swapped mine on Saturday - all seems fine now.
    Only time will tell whether the fault re-develops. This player (for me anyway) was only ever intended as a stopgap until there are a few £400/500 players to choose from that are PAL PS.

Happy for now though :)

19. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nike and Jenwilson

Its good to hear that there are some 'good' ones of these about. I found the two I got were both bad but it goes to show that people shouldn't necessarily be put off trying this model (especially when you're able to get a full refund with no hassles).

Jenwilson - it was definitely the 9900SE that I couldn't get the DVD+RW to work on. The Limit's display flashed 'load' and then went blank alternatively every 3 or 4 seconds. Obviously can't re-test now as I've taken it back!

All the best

Richard

20. patwestlake

patwestlake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had no problems at all playing all formats, DVD +/-RW etc. Had a couple of vibration issues, but reloading the disc cured them each time.

Pat

21. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    4 weeks on & mine is still fine.

(crosses fingers!)

Very happy with PS (PAL & NTSC). Borrowed a R2 copy of Black Hawk Down recently; that was too real!

The biggest 'thing' for me is that PAL dvds actually look damn fine on my plasma now, whereas the were 'messy' before and I used to avoid them. (except HKL :D )

22. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over two months and everything is still working perfectly....

The picture quality keeps on amazing me everytime. Just watched Armageddon again over the weekend and was amazed how 'film' like it looked with good definition in those dark scenes....

Top player...As Nike originally bought as a stopgap, but now I am wondering why would I want to change it as it does everything very, very well...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul